Crossing the Bridge Puzzle
Four people need to cross a rickety bridge at night. Unfortunately, they have only one torch and the bridge is too dangerous to cross without one. The bridge is only strong enough to support two people at a time. Not all people take the same time to cross the bridge. Times for each person: 1 min, 2 mins, 7 mins and 10 mins. What is the shortest time needed for all four of them to cross the bridge?
A and B cross first using up 2 minutes.
A comes back making it 3
C and D cross making it 13 minutes
then B crosses back over making it 15 minutes.
And finally A and B cross together to make it 17 minutes!
First Assume that A takes 1 min., B takes 2 min, C takes 5 min and D takes 10 min.
First A & B cross the bridge and they took 2 min
A returned and he took 1 min.
C & D cross the bridge and they took 10 min.
B returned and he took 2 min.
A & B cross the bridge they took 2 min.
Therefore, The shortest time is 17 min.
Assumption: – If two person walks together they will move according to the person walking slower than the other one because of torch constraint.
A – 1 min
B – 2 min
C – 7 min
D – 10 min
First send C & D : time taken – 10 min
Send A to get the torch and bring it back : time taken – 2 min (to & fro)
Now A & B can go together : time taken- 2
Total time – 10 + 2 + 2 = 14min
Assumption: A person carrying the torch illuminates the whole bridge.
b2 – destination end
b1 – starting end
people – p1 p2 p7 p10 (number denotes time taken for crossing)
Solution: 13 mins.
At t = 0 min,
p1, p2 start journey to cross towards b2 from b1 (p1 has the torch)
At t = 1 min,
p1 reaches b2 and starts back towards b1. (has the torch)
p2 in bridge (1 min)
At t = 2 mins,
p2 reaches b2.
p1 reaches back to b1.
p7, p10 start towards b2. (p7 has the torch)
At t = 9 mins,
p2 in b2
p7 reaches b2
p10 in bridge (7 mins into the journey)
p2 starts towards b1 (has the torch)
At t = 11 mins,
p7 in b2
p10 in bridge(9 mins)
p2 reaches b1
p1 in b1
p2 starts towards b2 (has the torch)
At t = 12 mins,
p7 in b2
p10 reaches b2
p2 in bridge (1 min) (has the torch)
p1 starts towards b2
At t = 13 mins,
all reach b2.
More puzzles to try-
- Depending on how you look at this image, you may see a portrait of a woman, or a silhouette of ...Read More »
- A guy has 10,000 in his bank on Monday. On Tuesday, they guy had 6,000 dollars in his bank, but ...Read More »
- One theft happens in a village and police inspector asked one constable to reach the spot and take the FIR. ...Read More »
- Man comes home and what does he see? Mother-in-law came over. I don’t know how but they started a fight. ...Read More »
- A frog is at the bottom of a 30 meter well. Each day he summons enough energy for one 3 ...Read More »
- It was vacation time, So I decided to visit my cousin’s home. What a grand time we had! In the ...Read More »
- Can you find the hidden phone in the image puzzle –Read More »
- A person was born in 1940. Today is his 18th birthday. How is that possible?Read More »
- A building has 16 rooms, arranged in a 4×4 grid. There is a door between every pair of adjacent rooms ...Read More »
- Distribute 1 to 99 in five groups so that total of each group comes same & what is that?Read More »
- What word starting with BR, that with the addition of the letter E, becomes another word that sounds the same ...Read More »
- What is represented by this BrainBat? HOT HOT HANDLE HANDLERead More »
- 500 at the beginning, 500 at the end, 5 in the middle is seen, The first of all letters, the ...Read More »
- Supposing a clock takes 7 seconds to strike 7, how long does it take for the same clock to strike ...Read More »
- On puzzleFry’s magical-intellectual land, all the animal are rational(real smart). There are six leopards and one sheep. Leopard can eat ...Read More »
- You have 100 doors in a row that are all initially closed. You make 100 passes by the doors starting ...Read More »
- If shakira’s daughter is your daughter’s mother, what are you to shakira?Read More »
- A man embarked on a questionnaire game. He kept asking the same question to whomever he found. The answer each ...Read More »
- If all the below statement are true 1. Gianni was either in Italy or France in 1997. 2. If Gianni ...Read More »
- It’s February. Some months have 30 days, some months have 31 days. How many have 28?Read More »