The Bermuda Triangle and the Mysterious Square
The Bermuda Triangle is a place in the Atlantic Ocean where ships and airplanes supposedly disappear without a trace. In the picture below, a square appears when we rearrange the pieces of the upper triangle to form the lower triangle. The pieces in both pictures are identical. Can you explain the origin of the square? You will need your knowledge of geometry to solve this problem.
The area of a right triangle is computed by multiplying the base times the height and dividing by two. The pieces of the puzzle have an area of 32 square units. Although they can be assembled to form what appears to be a 13×5 right triangle, they actually form quadrilaterals that are slightly smaller or slightly bigger than a 13×5 right triangle. The long side of the these “triangles”, i.e, what seems to be the hypotenuse, is not a straight line.
The top figure has an area of 32 square units. The bottom figure, including the empty square, has an area of 33 square units. A real 13×5 right triangle would have an area of 32.5 square units. The distortion is difficult to see because one square of the picture is approximately 3% of the area.
The distortion can be seen more clearly when the empty square constitutes a larger percentage of the area, as in the figure below where 1 square represents 13% of the area.
More puzzles to try-
- What’s often Right when wrong, loudest when quiet and weakest when silent? Hint- If you add a pint of whiskey, ...Read More »
- Prove that for any positive K, every Kth number in the Fibonacci sequence is a multiple of the Kth number ...Read More »
- What 3 common songs have the same melody ?Read More »
- Using 3 periods (.) and 1 question mark (?) make this a logical and grammatically correct sentence: “That that is ...Read More »
- What should be the missing number 3 11 18 33 29 ? 36 38 39Read More »
- Anna can drive a Toyota, but not a Prius. She can marry Otto, but not Peter. She can borrow or ...Read More »
- Say you have some bendable wires (any number, any length). What is the minimum number of solder connections needed to ...Read More »
- A vampire enters a town and bites 2 person every night. The bitten 2 persons grows in to two big ...Read More »
- What was the president of the United State’s name in 1980?Read More »
- A donkey is behind another donkey I’m behind that second donkey But there is a whole nation behind me It ...Read More »
- Sherlock holmes is called upon on a crime scene. A woman has been killed and there are only three suspects ...Read More »
- Implement the function boolean isPalindrome (int n); Which will return true if the bit-wise representation of the integer is a ...Read More »
- A room has 100 light switches, numbered by the positive integers 1 through 100. There are also 100 children, numbered ...Read More »
- When they started off on the great annual picnic every wagon in town was pressed into service, each one carrying ...Read More »
- An apple tree has apples on it. A storm comes through and there is no longer apples on the tree. ...Read More »
- Can you transform each of the top words into the word on the bottom? You can only change one letter ...Read More »
- In the Puzzle Fry criminal court A man was being accused of having stolen certain valuable jewels and trying to ...Read More »
- A man walks into a completely dark room. There is a box on a table at the other end of ...Read More »
- Jenny has boxes in three sizes: large, standard, and small. She puts 11 large boxes on a table. She leaves ...Read More »