Walking on Globe Puzzle
The place would be southern Hemisphere. There is a ring near the South Pole with a circumference of one mile.Now if we are standing on one mile north of the ring at any point. Then let’s say if we walk on the southern direction and cover one mile, we will be standing on the ring. Traveling one mile east will bring us on the circumference of the ring. Walking one mile north from there, we will be standing on the exact point where we have started. Now if we start counting, we will understand that while we walk 1 mile north in the end, we can reach an infinite number of points.
In such a case, the total number of possible points possible are 1 + infinite.
Now let’s consider the ring that is half a mile in circumference near the South Pole. If we walk a mile along the ring, we would circle twice but will reach the point where we started from. In such a case if we start from the point that is located one mile north of a half mile ring, it will also help us reach the starting point after traveling as per asked.
Now with every possible integer N, there is a circle with radius R = 1 / 2 (2*pi*n); which is centered at the South Pole.
If we walk along these rings, we will be circling N times and again returning to the point where we started. We must note that the possible values for N are infinite. Also, we could have infinite ways of selecting a starting point which is located one mile north of the rings which means that there are (infinite * infinite) possible points.
Concluding with our statements, the possible number of points are equal to 1 + infinite * infinite which is equal to infinite.
Thus there are infinite points possible.
More puzzles to try-
- Correct the equation by moving one matchstick 34+89=400 As given in the matchstick equation (34+89=400) in the above diagram, move ...Read More »
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »