Aeroplane windows Shape
it took a few tragic events for engineers to take a fresh look at airplane window design. It was in the 1950s when commercial airliners were getting bigger — and they also started disintegrating in midair. Two of those were de Havilland Comets, which fell apart in flight in separate events in 1953 and 1954. The cause was found to be … yup, the square windows.
Engineers determined that the sharp edges of the planes’ squared windows created natural weak spots, causing “metal fatigue failure.” These corners were easily stressed, then further weakened by air pressure at high altitude.
By the ’50s, aircraft like the de Havilland Comets were flying faster and higher than industry predecessors, meaning after multiple flights and repeated pressurization, those square windows basically broke apart from the pressure.
Rounded windows, on the other hand, are able to distribute the pressure evenly because they have no corners for stress to concentrate, reducing the likelihood of cracks or breaks. Circular shapes are also stronger and resist deformation, making them more able to withstand the repeated pressure differences between the inside and outside of the aircraft.
More puzzles to try-
- I come in different shapes and sizes. Parts of me are curved, other parts are straight. You can put me ...Read More »
- Can you find all the words in the word list in the grid below? The words can be found horizantally, ...Read More »
- if You drop him from the tallest building it is fine, but if you drop him in water he wil ...Read More »
- Tony’s father is 45. He is 15 years older than twice Tony’s age. How old is Tony? John is twice ...Read More »
- You have ten chocolate boxes containing 10 chocolate each and an electronic weighing machine. In those ten boxes, you have ...Read More »
- A rebus is an illusion device that uses pictures to represent words or parts of words. What does This Rebus ...Read More »
- When is the answer in the question?Read More »
- A man walks into a restaurant and the the waiter says good day Admiral. Why did the waiter call the ...Read More »
- A pants pocket is empty but still have something in it? How? What is in it?Read More »
- A word of letters three I know. Add two in this, and fewer there will be. What is it?Read More »
- Your sock drawer contains 24 white socks and 30 black socks. The lights in your room are off, so you ...Read More »
- If nine thousand, nine hundred nine dollars is written as $9,909, how should twelve thousand, twelve hundred twelve dollars be ...Read More »
- There were certain diamonds in a shop. thief stole half of diamonds and 2 more. thief stole half of remaining ...Read More »
- There are two glasses in front of you. One of the glasses is full of coke and the other glass ...Read More »
- In the given figure you have to move six matchsticks such that the resulting figure has five squares. Move it, ...Read More »
- A very famous chemist was found murdered in his kitchen today. The police have narrowed it down to six suspects. ...Read More »
- A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock at the door. She opens the door ...Read More »
- An investor trading through a discount stock broker that charges $10.00 Dollars per transaction bought 200 shares of Vola Tile ...Read More »
- Two fathers and two sons decided to go to a shop and bought some sweets upon reaching. Each of them ...Read More »
- A friend of mine runs a bicycle shop and he narrated to me this following story: A man, who looked ...Read More »