Continuous moving buses puzzle
5 buses including the one starting when the bus reach its destination.
In simple words the bus had to pass all the buses from opposite direction before its reach its destination.
So during 40 minute interval there are 5 buses from opposite direction.
bus1 which start at 0 minute which our bypasses at 20 minute
bus2 which starts at 10 minute which our bypasses at 30 minute
bus3 which starts at 20 minute which our bypasses at 35 minute
bus4 which starts at 30 minute which our bypasses at 37.5 minute
and bus5 which starts at 40 minute(at the destination) which our bus bypasses at 40 minute
Here t denotes time in minutes.
X denotes path not visited by any bus yet.
b1,b3,b5……..denotes the buses which start from left side of the road
while b2,b4,b6……denotes the buses which start right side of the road!!!
(number)…..denotes how many buses they meet on the way…….
when t=0; b1(0)———X———-X———-X———b2(0)
when t=10; b3(0)———b1(0)———-X———-b2(0)———b4(0)
when t=20; b5(0)———b3(0)———-b1(1)b2(1)———-b4(0)———b6(0)
when t=30; b7(0)———b5(1)b2(2)———-b3(1)b4(1)———-b1(2)b6(1)———b8(0)
when t=40; ……………………………………..every bus will meet at least one bus during its path from one end to another.
Answer – The total number of buses met will be 9
EXCEPT for the FIRST 3 buses starting from either end, every other bus will meet another bus from the opposite site every 5 minutes. This is because buses from both ends are moving simultaneously (covering equal distances, assuming buses moving at uniform speed).
Let us denote the distance covered in every minute as a point. i.e, considering one end of the route as Point 0, the other end will be Point 40. Consider a bus (Say, A) starting from point 0. The moment it starts, another bus B which had started 30 minutes earlier from the other end (Point 40) will be already at 10 min. away (Point 10) from reaching its destination. By the time bus A covers the first 5 points of its journey, the bus B also will have covered the same distance (from Point 10) and hence will meet bus A. By that time, yet another bus C (started from Point 40 following bus B)will be at 10 points away, and this bus will meet A in the next 5 minutes, just like bus B did. Thus, bus A will meet buses B, C… etc. every five minutes. This will continue till it reaches Point 40. Thus, the number of buses it meets en route will be 7. Counting the buses it meets at the starting point (the bus which had left Point 40, at 40 min. earlier) and at the terminating point (the bus which leaves Point 40 at the 40th minute of Bus A’s journey), the total number of buses met will be 9.
(For the first 3 buses starting at either end, this calculation will not apply, because, when the first bus starts from Point 0, there is no bus which had started earlier from Point 40 on the way to meet it at Points 5, 10 and 15. It will meet the first bus from the opposite end at Point 20 only. Thereafter, it will meet subsequent buses as described above. Similarly, when the 2nd bus leaves Point 0, there will be one bus at Point 30 (which was the first bus from Point 40, left 10 min, earlier) which will be the first bus it meets en route at Point 15. followed by subsequent buses as above.)
More puzzles to try-
- What number divided by 4 is the same as that number minus 4?Read More »
- There are twelve identical-looking balls, but one is either heavier or lighter than the other eleven. How can you determine ...Read More »
- A vessel is filled with liquid, 3 parts of which are water and 5 parts syrup. How much of the ...Read More »
- It has horns but can’t beep. It is like to bleat but It is not a sheep. What is it?Read More »
- Can you find the 09 errors in the picture below?Read More »
- I fly without wings, cry without eyes. What am I ?Read More »
- Assuming year 1 started on Sunday, it can be shown that only some days are possible as a century’s final ...Read More »
- A think always makes you cold, you feel it when its breezy and you cannot see it? What is it?Read More »
- Identify the hidden meaning behind this picture?Read More »
- When it is alive we sing, when it is dead we clap our hands. What is it?Read More »
- In The 1st month of this year(the year 2013), I noticed that the date 13-1-13 (13 January 2013) is special. ...Read More »
- In a secret society, a buried chamber can be accessed only via a secret password. The password is seven characters ...Read More »
- Two prisoners ‘Lincoln Burrows’ and ‘Michael Scofield’ are locked in a cell. There is open window approx 30 feet above ...Read More »
- What year of this century is the same when its number is upside down? What year of the previous century ...Read More »
- I am born in fear, raised in the truth, and I come to my own indeed. When comes a time ...Read More »
- It is able, but not capable. It can stop, but not go. It is dead, but not yet perished. It’s ...Read More »
- In this ball puzzle, complete the series by finding the value of ?(Question mark)Read More »
- A boat full of people goes under a bridge and when it comes out the other side not a single ...Read More »
- There is a table with a row of 2014 cards. Each card has a red side and a blue side. ...Read More »
- My friend Shuba works in a post office and she sells stamps. One day a man walked in and slamming ...Read More »