Defective stack of coins puzzle
There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each.
Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective and each coin in that stack weights only 9 gms.
What is the minimum number of weights you need to take to find which stack is defective? How?
SOLUTION- 1 Measurement Only
We will take,
1 coin from the first stack,
2 coins from the second,
3 from the third
In total we will have 55 coins.
If all of them were non-defective, they would weigh 550 gms.
If stack 1 is defective, the measure would read 549 gms.
If stack 2 is defective, you will read 548 gms.
and so on.
So by taking one measurement you can identify, which is the defective stack.
More puzzles to try-
- A boy leaves home in the morning to go to school. At the moment that he leaves the house, he ...Read More »
- To buy new Laptop Jacob took money from his two elder brothers John and Thomas. They each give 10£ to ...Read More »
- How many six digit numbers can be formed using the digits 1 to 6, without repetition such that the number ...Read More »
- A lilypad doubles in size each day. In 28 days, the lilypad will cover the entire pond. In how many ...Read More »
- 5 25 29 85 89 ?Read More »
- Sophie who is a housemaid, She knows her boundaries well. She is good at equations. Her favorite vegetable is cauliflower. ...Read More »
- You are sitting with one opponent at an empty, round table. Taking turns, you should place one euro on the ...Read More »
- Boris and Natasha live in different cities in a country with a corrupt postal service. Every box sent by mail ...Read More »
- I am blue at day and black at night; I do contain some creatures born and died. What am I?Read More »
- There are 100 passengers boarding a 100 passenger airplane. When passenger 1 gets onto the plane, he is dissoriented, so ...Read More »
- If you drop a yellow hat in the Red Sea, What does it become?Read More »
- During an interview in a renowned company, while answering the question, the candidate became quite nervous. The interviewer was generous ...Read More »
To help celebrate the New Year, we’ve decided to give you a New Year’s toast. There’s just one catch….you’ll have to solve the puzzle first!Answer the clues below to find each word. Then place the letters on the lines below. Each letter must be ...Read More »
- What is it?Read More »
- A drinker is walking on a road. He takes 5 step forward and then come back 3 step. His one ...Read More »
- A mother has four children and two sweet potatoes. How can she feed each an equal amount of sweet potatoes? ...Read More »
- Write numbers from 1 to 100…. how many 9s do you see?Read More »
- Assume there are approximately 5,000,000,000 (5 billion) people on Earth living presently. What would you estimate to be the result, ...Read More »
- A girl goes to her mother’s funeral and meets the man of her dreams but she doesn’t get his name ...Read More »
- What fastens two people yet touches only one?Read More »