Diamond stealing puzzle
Why the author said “same as above”?
Because: The steps were:
1.thief stole half of diamonds and 2 more.
2.thief stole half of diamonds and 2 more.
3.Same as above(It means here 1,2 steps repeated again. So the thief stole twice more)!
4.Same as above(It means now more four steps repeated)
As a result the thief actually stole 8 times.
At last there was no diamond left.
So 8th time when the thief stole 2 diamonds there were only two diamonds left!
Now we can guess there were 1,2,3,4,5,6,…….diamonds when the thief stole for the second time!!
But actually there were only 4.
Because the thief stole half of the 4 diamonds=2 and remaining two. And this way he stole 4 diamonds!!
As a result for the nineth time he got nothing.
No other number will satisfy this clue!!
So when the thief stole for the 8th time there were 4 diamonds!!
For 7th time he stole half of the remaining and 2 more.
So there were (4+2)*2=12 diamonds!!
For 6th time he stole half of the remaining and 2 more.
So there were (12+2)*2=28 diamonds!!
For 5th time he stole half of the remaining and 2 more.
So there were (28+2)*2=60 diamonds!!
For 4th time he stole half of the remaining and 2 more.
So there were (60+2)*2=124 diamonds!!
For 3rd time he stole half of the remaining and 2 more.
So there were (124+2)*2=252 diamonds!!
For 2nd time he stole half of the remaining and 2 more.
So there were (252+2)*2=508 diamonds!!
For 1st time he stole half of the remaining and 2 more.
So there were (508+2)*2=1020 diamonds!!
If my initial logic was wrong there were only 4 steps!!
And the answer became 60.
More puzzles to try-
- Respected by few, Feared and hated by many. Mistress of the entire universal reason, Master in the art of numbers. ...Read More »
- Which is bigger in quantity and how much: days in a year or bones in an adult human body ?Read More »
- John was writing his first book. After saving the document, he locked his laptop with a password and mentioned some ...Read More »
- Nodes are shown below and you need to connect them based on the following rule: Every node can be connected ...Read More »
- You have a three gallon and a five gallon measuring device. You wish to measure out four gallons.Read More »
- How can one talk without saying a single word?Read More »
- There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn ...Read More »
- Easy to lift but hard to throw?Read More »
- Find the smallest 4 digit number meeting the following criteria: First digit is 1/3 of the second digit. Third digit ...Read More »
- In a Certain Country 1/2 of 5 = 3. If the same proportion holds, what is the value of 1/3 ...Read More »
- A road is divided into two ways. One leads to City of truth and the other leads to City of ...Read More »
- A man takes his car to a hotel. Upon reaching the hotel, he is immediately declared bankrupt. Why?Read More »
- Last weekend I was given my pocket money, which is meant to last me all week. On Monday, I spent ...Read More »
- There are three boxes containing fruits. The first box is marked peaches, the second is marked oranges, and the third ...Read More »
- What\’s a single-digit number with no value?Read More »
- Which is Odd One Out ? and why ? 4377 3954 9862 8454 9831Read More »
- 8432: 7 9213: 0 5144: 16 9064: 9 7103 : ?Read More »
- I go in dry and come out wet, The longer I’m in, the stronger it will get. What am I? ...Read More »
- What do you get when you cross a bear with a skunk?Read More »
- Joe deals himself and his friend John some cards from a deck of cards (not the same amount). If John ...Read More »