Maximum run in cricket puzzle
Assuming a 50-over match, the maximum number of deliveries a batsman can face is 49 * 5 + 6 = 251 (i.e., a batsman coming in as opener facing first ball of the innings can face all 6 balls of the first over and all except first ball of the remaining overs because strike will have to be rotated at end of over.) And theoretically, he can score a six off every fall he faces. (that’s 1506 runs, much more than the max. total number of runs ever scored in a one-day match…!)
The answer is 1653 runs.
For an ideal case scenario, the (opening) batsman will hit a six on each ball. But if he hits a six on the last ball of the over, the strike will no longer remain with him in the next over. Thus, the best thing he can do on the last ball is to run 3 runs so that he retains the strike with him even in the next over(s). Thus the total runs that he can score in each over:
(6 * 5) + 3 = 33 runs.
But this will have to continue like above only till the 49th over; this is the actual twist, as in the last over, he can hit a six on the last ball as well because that will be the last ball of the match (and there is no purpose of giving the strike to the other batsman before the over ends).
Thus runs for the last over will be 6 * 6 = 36 runs.
Therefore, the maximum runs will be (33 * 49) + 36 = 1653 runs. (Theoretically)
The answer is actually infinite.
This is because there is no limitation to the maximum number of runs scored in a single ball. A batsman can run for how much ever he could. Even if there were no overthrows, he might be capable of running 4 runs or even 5(think of him as Usain Bolt…), or the fielder may be too slow to run after the ball and retrieve it in time.
We can never be sure how much runs he could score. According to theory, like NitinGurbani has said, it is 1653 runs. But we can’t be exactly sure.
More puzzles to try-
- A confused bank teller transposed the dollars and cents when he cashed a cheque for Ms Denial, giving her dollars ...Read More »
- Only 1 hindi word fits all the Blanks, What is that word ? Hindi in English- Ek Gali Mein _____ ...Read More »
- You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What ...Read More »
- If a rooster laid a brown egg and a white egg, what kind of chicks would hatch?Read More »
- A man is stranded on an island covered in forest. One day, when the wind is blowing from the west, ...Read More »
- I am born out of water And live on land Touch of my mother Brings demise on hand. Who am ...Read More »
- A very famous chemist was found murdered in his kitchen today. The police have narrowed it down to six suspects. ...Read More »
- Given below paragraph a unique in something. Find out the uniqueness in this ? “Gatsby was walking back from a ...Read More »
- We have a 100 foot piece of ribbon. If it takes one second to cut it into a 1 foot ...Read More »
- Five bachelors who all lived in the same apartment building each ordered an item from the same catalog. Unfortunately, the ...Read More »
- A girl goes to her mother’s funeral and meets the man of her dreams but she doesn’t get his name ...Read More »
- You and a friend each has a fair coin. You can decide on a strategy and then play the following ...Read More »
- you are stuck in a house you have four objects to use – Chair, Ladder, Piano, and axe. What would ...Read More »
- Five numbers are added together in pairs to produce the following answers: 0,2,4,4,6,8,9,11,13,15 What are the five numbers?Read More »
- This is a simple one. You just have to count the number of F in the given sentence. Finished Files ...Read More »
- 500 women soldiers are arranged in an array of ten rows and fifty columns in accordance with their respective heights. ...Read More »
- Jim purchased a bottle of an imported perfume at $250. The bottle looks very beautiful with silver linings on it ...Read More »
- You are trying to cook an egg for exactly fifteen minutes, but instead of a timer, you are given two ...Read More »
- This is the most commonly asked interview puzzle. You have 3 jars that are all mislabeled. One jar contains Apple, ...Read More »
- What is significant about this paragraph: I once found two tiny ferrets, bruised with dirt over them. I decided to ...Read More »