Story of Friends
Out of three Friends John, Jacob and Jonny one of them is a king, one is a bureaucrat, and one is a Spy.
The king always tells the truth, the bureaucrat always lies, and the Spy can either lie or tell the truth.
John says: Jonny is a bureaucrat
Jacob says: John is a king
Jonny says: I am a Spy
Tell me, Who is the king, who is the bureaucrat, and who is the Spy?
John is the King, Jacob, the Spy and Jonny is the bureaucrat.
1. If John was not the King:
Either Jacob OR Jonny must be the King. However: If Jacob was the King, he must tell the truth, whereas he said that John is the King which is wrong as per assumption. Similarly, if Jonny was the King, he wouldn’t have claimed to be a Spy. Hence, John MUST be the King.
Now, what remain to be determined is who among Jacob and Jonny is a Spy / Bureaucrat
2. If Jacob was the Bureaucrat (who is a liar):
He wouldn’t have made the statement “John is a king” which is true. Hence, Jacob must be the Spy.
From the above, it follows that Jonny, the only person remaining, must be the bureaucrat.
More puzzles to try-
- Children do not know it. Older men take care of it. Women are panicking because of it. Men take up ...Read More »
- There is a polynomial and you have access to a function that evaluates that polynomial at a given number. You ...Read More »
- Which room has no windows, no furniture and nobody lives in it ?Read More »
- There are three doors in front of you. New car waits behind one of them; goat is hidden behind each ...Read More »
- There are two glasses in front of you. One of the glasses is full of coke and the other glass ...Read More »
- Why was the man able to pass three cars going 70 miles-per-hour, while he was going only 60 miles-per-hour?Read More »
- At a restaurant downtown, Mr. Red, Mr. Blue, and Mr. White meet for lunch. Under their coats they are wearing ...Read More »
- In a five star hotel, a man was sleeping when he heard a knock on the door. He shifted the ...Read More »
- A prisoner is in jail. There are two doors, one leads to freedom one leads to death. There is a ...Read More »
- In this illusion, black spots quickly appear and disappear at the intersectionsRead More »
- WHAT WORDS CAN YOU MAKE OUT OF THESE BELOW LETTERS:- H, E, I, V, D, E, ORead More »
- A plane crashed on the border of US and Canada. Where do they bury the survivors?Read More »
- In this whimsical drawing, each of the bunnies has a pair, except for one. Can you find it?Read More »
- Who gets paid when they drive away their customers?Read More »
- A man and his boss have the same parents, but are not siblings. How is this possible?Read More »
- Ten people land on a deserted island. There they find lots of coconuts and a monkey. During their first day ...Read More »
- Who is most Safe in the picture belowRead More »
- In the Mexico City area, there are two Houses H1 and H2. Both H1 and H2 have two children each. ...Read More »
- Little Johnny’s teacher asks him, “If I gave you two cats, then two more, and two more cats; how many ...Read More »
- You have 240 barrels of wine, one of which has been poisoned. After drinking the poisoned wine, one dies within ...Read More »