The Bermuda Triangle and the Mysterious Square
The Bermuda Triangle is a place in the Atlantic Ocean where ships and airplanes supposedly disappear without a trace. In the picture below, a square appears when we rearrange the pieces of the upper triangle to form the lower triangle. The pieces in both pictures are identical. Can you explain the origin of the square? You will need your knowledge of geometry to solve this problem.
The area of a right triangle is computed by multiplying the base times the height and dividing by two. The pieces of the puzzle have an area of 32 square units. Although they can be assembled to form what appears to be a 13×5 right triangle, they actually form quadrilaterals that are slightly smaller or slightly bigger than a 13×5 right triangle. The long side of the these “triangles”, i.e, what seems to be the hypotenuse, is not a straight line.
The top figure has an area of 32 square units. The bottom figure, including the empty square, has an area of 33 square units. A real 13×5 right triangle would have an area of 32.5 square units. The distortion is difficult to see because one square of the picture is approximately 3% of the area.
The distortion can be seen more clearly when the empty square constitutes a larger percentage of the area, as in the figure below where 1 square represents 13% of the area.
More puzzles to try-
- Tomorrow is neither Wednesday nor Thursday. Yesterday was not Friday or Saturday. Today is not Thursday nor Monday nor Sunday. ...Read More »
- Where on Earth do the winds always blow from the South?Read More »
- Mary’s mum has four children. The first child is called April. The second May. The third June. What is the ...Read More »
- Big fancy thoughts, in a white Petticoats and a red nose, The longer she stands, the shorter she grows !Read More »
- Witch Matilda was having a hard time with her pet bats. They insist on flying around and getting into trouble. ...Read More »
- Express 100 in three ways with five 5s. You can use brackets, parentheses and these signs +,-,X,/. Example- 111-11=100 (Here, ...Read More »
- What is in seasons, seconds, centuries and minutes but not in decades, years or days?Read More »
- Find the values of a and b: 12 x a + b = 98 123 x a + b+1 = ...Read More »
- The Little ant seems to be always confused. You know why ?Read More »
- Captain John Sparrow is the captain of this famous ship. The captain of this famous ship is Captain John Sparrow. ...Read More »
- How many maximum runs can a batsman score in a normal one day match? Consider the fact that the conditions ...Read More »
- What room can no one enter?Read More »
- A father goes to prison and the mother will have to sell her hotel, but their young daughter is happy. ...Read More »
- If a rooster laid a brown egg and a white egg, what kind of chicks would hatch?Read More »
- One night, a man receives a call from the Police. The Police tell the man that his wife was murdered, ...Read More »
- What does this mean? Nia g r aRead More »
- How many dogs are in a small room if in each of the four corners a dog is sitting, and ...Read More »
- A woman lives alone in a farmhouse. Two prison escapees intend to kill whoever they see in the farmhouse that ...Read More »
- How many times can 10 be subtracted from 100?Read More »
- What is greater than God, more evil than the devil, the poor have it, the rich need it, and if ...Read More »