You stand at a fork in the road?
You stand at a fork in the road. Next to each of the two forks, there stands a guard. You know the following things: First that one path leads to paradise, the other leads to Death. You cannot distinguish between the two paths. You also know that one of the two guards always tells the truth and the other always lies. You have permission to ask one guard one question to discover which path leads to paradise. What one question would you ask to guarantee you take the path to paradise?
Ask one of the gaurds ‘Which door would the other guard say leads to paradise?’ If you ask the truthful one he will say the lying guard would say the wrong door. If you ask the lying guard he would say the truthful gaurd would pick the wrong door as well (since he is lying). So no matter what you could choose the door opposite of what they say and end up in paradise.
More puzzles to try-
- You have twelve coins. You know that one is fake. The only thing that distinguishes the fake coin from the ...Read More »
- He sleeps in day and flies in night. He has no feathers to aid his flight. What is it?Read More »
- Consider the following array operations. Init(N,d) initializes an array of N elements so that each element has value d. Once ...Read More »
- It could be confusing. It could be frustrating. It could be good. It could be funny. What is it ?Read More »
- A man has a barrel with filled with oil that weighs 100 pounds, and then he puts something into it. ...Read More »
- A basket containing twenty Oranges is with you. You have twenty members in your family, each desire an orange. You ...Read More »
- A natural state, I’m sought by all. Go without me, and you shall fall. You do me when you spend, ...Read More »
- A little pool with two layers of wall around it. One white and soft. The other dark and hard. Amidst ...Read More »
- The nine cats below are not identical Only two of them are identical. Can you find out those two identical ...Read More »
- A white rook and a black bishop of a standard chess set are randomly placed on a chessboard What is the probability ...Read More »
- Which path should the car follow to come out of the maze?Read More »
- Can you find out the meaning of this riddle? ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWYZ QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQRead More »
- Given N points randomly distributed around the circumference of a circle, what is the probability that all N points lie ...Read More »
- On puzzleFry’s magical-intellectual land, all the animal are rational(real smart). There are six leopards and one sheep. Leopard can eat ...Read More »
- There is a bar with 25 seats in a line. The people there are anti-social so when they walk in ...Read More »
- If a rooster laid a brown egg and a white egg, what kind of chicks would hatch?Read More »
- An old man wanted to leave all of his money to one of his three sons, but he didn’t know ...Read More »
- What do spiders in Silicon Valley want to be when they grow up?Read More »
- You want to send a valuable object to a friend. You have a box which is more than large enough ...Read More »
- If the puzzle you solved before you solved the puzzle you solved after you solved the puzzle you solved before ...Read More »