Open Poker riddle
On the game of Poker, two people play as follows:
Player 1 takes any 5 cards of his choice from the deck of 52 cards. Then player 2 does the same out of the remaining 47. Then player 1 may choose to discard any of his cards and replace them from the remaining 42. Then player 2 may discard any of his cards and replace them, but he may not take player 1’s discards. ALL of the transactions with the deck are public knowledge, unlike the real game of Poker.
After this process, the winner is the one who has the better poker hand. For the benefit of those who have not played poker, these are the highest ranking hands, in decreasing order of value:
Royal Flush: the A K Q J 10 of the same suit.
Straight Flush: any five consecutive of one suit. Highest card of the five is the tiebreaker. No one suit is more powerful than another.
Four of a kind: all four of one rank (i.e. four aces). A hand with 4 aces outranks 4 kings, etc.
Full house: a pair of one rank and 3-of-a-kind in another rank, i.e. Q Q 8 8 8.
Flush: Any 5 cards of the same suit that don’t satisfy #2.
Because of the clear advantage of player 1, the win is given to player 2 if the hands are equal in strength.
Which player would you rather be? What strategy do you use?
Take 4 tens
Obviously if you choose a royal flush, your opponent could match you with one of her own. Picking 4 Aces and a King, say, could be answered by 4 Queens and another card. You could then discard all 5 cards and draw a Jack-high straight flush. But your opponent could beat you with a Queen-high straight flush. If you draw so as to prevent a Queen-high straight flush your opponent stands pat and beats you with 4 Queens.
If you select 4 10’s and another card, the best your opponent can do is a 9-high straight flush. Any selection your opponent makes allows you either a royal flush or a 10-high straight flush.
Other winning combinations are 3 10’s and A-9, K-9, Q-9, J-9, K-8, Q-8, J-8, J-7, or J-6 in the fourth suit.
More puzzles to try-
- Each day a lady gets the lift from the 12th floor to the ground level so she can go to ...Read More »
- A dragon and knight live on an island. This island has seven poisoned wells, numbered 1 to 7. If you ...Read More »
- We live in a large tower block, 10 floors high. My 5 year old son goes to school each day ...Read More »
- A horse jumps over a castle and lands on a man, then the man disappears. How was this possible?Read More »
- MrBrown is a witty trader who trade of a mystical fruit grown far in north. He travels from one place ...Read More »
- Solve rebus picture below ?Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Man Wrinkle spent one-fourth of his life as a boy, one-eighth as a youth, and one-half as an active man. ...Read More »
- Samuel was out for a walk and it started to rain. He did not have an umbrella and he wasn’t ...Read More »
- Ring City has 100 houses arranged in a circle. Alice starts at her own house, and every day she randomly ...Read More »
- A friend of mine in Bangalore owns a horse-driven carriage. It was found that the fore wheels of the carriage ...Read More »
- Decode the name of the month in this picture-Read More »
- You have a cube made of 10 x 10 x 10 smaller cubes, for a total of 1000 smaller cubes. ...Read More »
- Hilary and Jocelyn are throwing a dinner party at their house and have invited four other couples. After the guests ...Read More »
- How can you put 100 pineapple in 9 packets with 10 in each packet?Read More »
- A bath tub has two taps for cold and hot water to fill and a plugged hole to drain the ...Read More »
- I can’t be seen, found, heard or smelled. I lie behind stars and under hills, I fill empty holes, come ...Read More »
- In a zoo Peter was in charge of feeding all of the animals in the morning. He had a regular schedule ...Read More »
- Say you have some bendable wires (any number, any length). What is the minimum number of solder connections needed to ...Read More »