Open Poker riddle
On the game of Poker, two people play as follows:
Player 1 takes any 5 cards of his choice from the deck of 52 cards. Then player 2 does the same out of the remaining 47. Then player 1 may choose to discard any of his cards and replace them from the remaining 42. Then player 2 may discard any of his cards and replace them, but he may not take player 1’s discards. ALL of the transactions with the deck are public knowledge, unlike the real game of Poker.
After this process, the winner is the one who has the better poker hand. For the benefit of those who have not played poker, these are the highest ranking hands, in decreasing order of value:
Royal Flush: the A K Q J 10 of the same suit.
Straight Flush: any five consecutive of one suit. Highest card of the five is the tiebreaker. No one suit is more powerful than another.
Four of a kind: all four of one rank (i.e. four aces). A hand with 4 aces outranks 4 kings, etc.
Full house: a pair of one rank and 3-of-a-kind in another rank, i.e. Q Q 8 8 8.
Flush: Any 5 cards of the same suit that don’t satisfy #2.
Because of the clear advantage of player 1, the win is given to player 2 if the hands are equal in strength.
Which player would you rather be? What strategy do you use?
Take 4 tens
Obviously if you choose a royal flush, your opponent could match you with one of her own. Picking 4 Aces and a King, say, could be answered by 4 Queens and another card. You could then discard all 5 cards and draw a Jack-high straight flush. But your opponent could beat you with a Queen-high straight flush. If you draw so as to prevent a Queen-high straight flush your opponent stands pat and beats you with 4 Queens.
If you select 4 10’s and another card, the best your opponent can do is a 9-high straight flush. Any selection your opponent makes allows you either a royal flush or a 10-high straight flush.
Other winning combinations are 3 10’s and A-9, K-9, Q-9, J-9, K-8, Q-8, J-8, J-7, or J-6 in the fourth suit.
More puzzles to try-
- The below figure consists of a rectangle and the numbers labeled over the top represents the area of that particular ...Read More »
- You have twelve coins. You know that one is fake. The only thing that distinguishes the fake coin from the ...Read More »
- You are in an elevator with two other people. When it reaches the first floor, one person gets out and ...Read More »
- 4 fathers, 2 grand-fathers and 4 sons went to watch the movie. What is the minimum number of the tickets ...Read More »
- There is a kingdom and in the kingdom when you drink a poison the only way to cure yourself is ...Read More »
- There are 31 horses on a cliff, first they jump into the air, then they come down and stop, then ...Read More »
- Move 3 matches to show 2 squares.Read More »
- Two identical trains, at the equator start travelling round the world in opposite directions. They start to-gether, run at the ...Read More »
- A man is looking at a photograph of someone. His friend asks who it is. The man replies, “Brothers and ...Read More »
- There are two barber shops in a small town – one located in the eastern market and the other in ...Read More »
- There is a certain crime, that if it is attempted, is punishable, but if it is committed, is not punishable. ...Read More »
- Poor farmer went to the farmers market to sell his corn. He had only one sack so he put barley ...Read More »
- The following picture shows a cage with 6 separate rooms made up of 13 sticks for 6 birds to stay. ...Read More »
- A cowboy got ten horses and nine stables as shown below. How can the cowboy fit ten horses in nine ...Read More »
- B C D E __ I K __ X The puzzle might look like a simple one. Give it a ...Read More »
- A semi truck weighing exactly 10,000 pounds gets onto a bridge that is 100 miles long. The bridge’s weight limit ...Read More »
- Sofia, Angelina & Emma went for a picnic. After a few days they forgot the date, day and month on ...Read More »
- Complete the sequence: B E H K N Q __ __Read More »
- This is a classic interview puzzle asked in many interviews. Puzzle :Given N step stair, how many number of ways ...Read More »
- Two arbitrary rectangles are placed to form an “L”. That is, the lower left-hand corner of the two rectangles share ...Read More »