Catch the thief
In the Puzzle Fry criminal court A man was being accused of having stolen certain valuable jewels and trying to run away with them, when he was caught by a smart police officer who overtook him.
In cross examination the lawyer for accused asked the police officer how he could catch up with the accused who was already seven steps ahead of him, when he started to run after him. ‘Yes Sir.’ The officer replied. ‘He takes eight steps to every five of mine !
‘But then officer,’ interrogated the lawyer, ‘how did you ever catch him. if that was the case?’
‘That’s easily explained sir,’ replied the officer, I got a longer stride… two of my steps equal in length to his five. So the number of steps 1 required were fewer than his. and this brought me to the spot where I captured him.’
A member of the jury, who was particularly good at quick calculations did some checking and figured out the number of steps the police officer must have taken.
Can you also find out how many steps the officer needed to catch up with the thief?
More puzzles to try-
- According to the traditional song, on the first day of Christmas (25th December), my true love sent to me: . ...Read More »
- Sally lives in a place where six months of the year is mild summer and the temperature drops significantly the ...Read More »
- scientific studies have shown that there is a direct, positive correlation between foot size and performance in spelling tests. how ...Read More »
- A man calls his dog from the opposite side of a river. The dog crosses the river without a bridge ...Read More »
- Aman is having 1.15 rupees in his pocket. There are a total of 6 coins in his pocket. When his ...Read More »
- There are 100 passengers boarding a 100 passenger airplane. When passenger 1 gets onto the plane, he is dissoriented, so ...Read More »
- In the locked room there were no widows, nothing and a man is hung from the ceiling and a puddle ...Read More »
- A traveller, on his way to Mexico City, reaches a road junction, where he can turn left or right. He ...Read More »
- Find the next number in the series? 2, 12, 36, 80, 150, 252, 392, _ ?Read More »
- You have a large number of friends coming over and they all get thirsty. Your first friend asks for 1/2 ...Read More »
- What is the coolest letter in the alphabet?Read More »
- Fry Link street has 1000 buildings. A sign board maker is contracted to number the houses from 1 to 1000. How ...Read More »
- Can you start the fire using two pieces of wood?Read More »
- A duck is in circular pond. The duck wants to swim ashore, because it wants to fly off and this ...Read More »
- Given the size of the chess board and initial position of the knight, what is the probability that after k ...Read More »
- New Zealand to Tahiti. I was curious to look around the ship one day and in the boiler room I ...Read More »
- It is a letter; It is made of four V’s. One on the left, One on the right, one on ...Read More »
- A robber tried to steal the crown jewels. He got caught by the King’s guards and was taken to the ...Read More »
- A man is trapped in a room with no windows, no doors and no cracks. All there was is a ...Read More »
- Two women were selling marbles in the market place—one at three for a paisa and other at two for a ...Read More »