Crossing the Bridge Puzzle
Four people need to cross a rickety bridge at night. Unfortunately, they have only one torch and the bridge is too dangerous to cross without one. The bridge is only strong enough to support two people at a time. Not all people take the same time to cross the bridge. Times for each person: 1 min, 2 mins, 7 mins and 10 mins. What is the shortest time needed for all four of them to cross the bridge?
A and B cross first using up 2 minutes.
A comes back making it 3
C and D cross making it 13 minutes
then B crosses back over making it 15 minutes.
And finally A and B cross together to make it 17 minutes!
First Assume that A takes 1 min., B takes 2 min, C takes 5 min and D takes 10 min.
First A & B cross the bridge and they took 2 min
A returned and he took 1 min.
C & D cross the bridge and they took 10 min.
B returned and he took 2 min.
A & B cross the bridge they took 2 min.
Therefore, The shortest time is 17 min.
Assumption: – If two person walks together they will move according to the person walking slower than the other one because of torch constraint.
A – 1 min
B – 2 min
C – 7 min
D – 10 min
First send C & D : time taken – 10 min
Send A to get the torch and bring it back : time taken – 2 min (to & fro)
Now A & B can go together : time taken- 2
Total time – 10 + 2 + 2 = 14min
Assumption: A person carrying the torch illuminates the whole bridge.
b2 – destination end
b1 – starting end
people – p1 p2 p7 p10 (number denotes time taken for crossing)
Solution: 13 mins.
At t = 0 min,
p1, p2 start journey to cross towards b2 from b1 (p1 has the torch)
At t = 1 min,
p1 reaches b2 and starts back towards b1. (has the torch)
p2 in bridge (1 min)
At t = 2 mins,
p2 reaches b2.
p1 reaches back to b1.
p7, p10 start towards b2. (p7 has the torch)
At t = 9 mins,
p2 in b2
p7 reaches b2
p10 in bridge (7 mins into the journey)
p2 starts towards b1 (has the torch)
At t = 11 mins,
p7 in b2
p10 in bridge(9 mins)
p2 reaches b1
p1 in b1
p2 starts towards b2 (has the torch)
At t = 12 mins,
p7 in b2
p10 reaches b2
p2 in bridge (1 min) (has the torch)
p1 starts towards b2
At t = 13 mins,
all reach b2.
More puzzles to try-
- ABCD × E = DCBA (Replace letters with digits and have the sum be true. A,B,C,D and E are all ...Read More »
- A forest exists somewhere on Earth. This forest has no life except for trees. After a storm, a tree was ...Read More »
- Once Birbal entered the king’s Courtroom, he found that there were six people sitting in front of him adorning the same ...Read More »
- If you drop me, I am sure to crack. Give me a smile, and I will always smile back. What ...Read More »
- A fine, polished mirror is in front of me, but why can’t I see my reflection?Read More »
- Mary gets in the shower, but surprisingly her hair is not wet when she gets out. How is this possible?Read More »
- You are given 2 eggs.And there’s 100 floor building. Eggs can be very hard or very fragile means it may ...Read More »
- Two prisoners are locked in a dirt floor cell with nothing but a mattress, a frame, and a stolen spoon. ...Read More »
- Can you find a word to match each category and starts with the letter in the left column? . . ...Read More »
- What is something you will never see again?Read More »
- Andrew is shuffling a pack of 54 cards in total and after some time, he takes out a joker card. ...Read More »
- A milkman carries a full 12 liter container of milk. He needs to deliver exactly 6 liters to a customer ...Read More »
- Can you find the cat in the picture-Read More »
- Emperor Akbar once ruled over India. He was a wise and intelligent ruler, and he had in his court the ...Read More »
- The king of Persia has a visitor who will be his new minister of defence.When he comes the king greets ...Read More »
- One day, a twenty story building was on fire. A man jumped out a window and nothing happened to him. ...Read More »
- A duck is in circular pond. The duck wants to swim ashore, because it wants to fly off and this ...Read More »
- A man and his son were traveling on a scheduled flight across the Atlantic. The man asked the flight attendant ...Read More »
- A cowboy was going to london on his horse. it took 2 days to get there,he stayed for a day ...Read More »
- A professional rugby player was practicing with his mates, while playing he busted lips and broke ribs and thighs. However, the ...Read More »