Crossing the Bridge Puzzle
Four people need to cross a rickety bridge at night. Unfortunately, they have only one torch and the bridge is too dangerous to cross without one. The bridge is only strong enough to support two people at a time. Not all people take the same time to cross the bridge. Times for each person: 1 min, 2 mins, 7 mins and 10 mins. What is the shortest time needed for all four of them to cross the bridge?
A and B cross first using up 2 minutes.
A comes back making it 3
C and D cross making it 13 minutes
then B crosses back over making it 15 minutes.
And finally A and B cross together to make it 17 minutes!
First Assume that A takes 1 min., B takes 2 min, C takes 5 min and D takes 10 min.
First A & B cross the bridge and they took 2 min
A returned and he took 1 min.
C & D cross the bridge and they took 10 min.
B returned and he took 2 min.
A & B cross the bridge they took 2 min.
Therefore, The shortest time is 17 min.
Assumption: A person carrying the torch illuminates the whole bridge.
b2 – destination end
b1 – starting end
people – p1 p2 p7 p10 (number denotes time taken for crossing)
Solution: 13 mins.
At t = 0 min,
p1, p2 start journey to cross towards b2 from b1 (p1 has the torch)
At t = 1 min,
p1 reaches b2 and starts back towards b1. (has the torch)
p2 in bridge (1 min)
At t = 2 mins,
p2 reaches b2.
p1 reaches back to b1.
p7, p10 start towards b2. (p7 has the torch)
At t = 9 mins,
p2 in b2
p7 reaches b2
p10 in bridge (7 mins into the journey)
p2 starts towards b1 (has the torch)
At t = 11 mins,
p7 in b2
p10 in bridge(9 mins)
p2 reaches b1
p1 in b1
p2 starts towards b2 (has the torch)
At t = 12 mins,
p7 in b2
p10 reaches b2
p2 in bridge (1 min) (has the torch)
p1 starts towards b2
At t = 13 mins,
all reach b2.
Assumption: – If two person walks together they will move according to the person walking slower than the other one because of torch constraint.
A – 1 min
B – 2 min
C – 7 min
D – 10 min
First send C & D : time taken – 10 min
Send A to get the torch and bring it back : time taken – 2 min (to & fro)
Now A & B can go together : time taken- 2
Total time – 10 + 2 + 2 = 14min
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Two trains starting at same time, one from Bangalore to Mysore and other in opposite direction arrive at their destination ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »