Dwarfs on Island riddle
On an Island, lives a population of highly intelligent dwarfs. The dwarfs all look exactly alike, but only differ in the fact that they are wearing either a red or a blue hat. Striking however, is that none of the dwarfs knows what the colour of his or her hat is. This is because it is forbidden to speak about the colour of the hats, and there no mirrors on the island. Nevertheless, the dwarfs do know that there is at least one dwarf with a red hat.
Once every century, there is a big party on the island, to which initially all dwarfs will go. However, this party is only intended for dwarfs wearing a blue hat. Dwarfs with a red hat are supposed not to return to the party the next day, as soon as they know that they are wearing a red hat.
How many days did it take before there were no more dwarfs with a red hat left at the last party, if you know that there were then 250 dwarfs with a red hat and 150 dwarfs with a blue hat?
suppose there are N dwarfs with a red hat
a dwarf with a red hat will see N-1 dwarfs with a red hat
a dwarf with a blue hat will see N dwarfs with a red hat
If at day N there are still dwarfs with a red hat and you see only N-1 dwarfs with a red hat his means you have a red hat and should not return the next day.
More puzzles to try-
- Mr. Buttons was all set to go to the village of Buttonland to meet his friend. So, he packed his ...Read More »
- Last week I bought a word processor small enough to fit in my pocket. It can write in any language ...Read More »
- Christina has four classes, Science, Math, English, and History. She had a test in every class, and wanted to have ...Read More »
- While walking across a bridge Andrew saw a boat full of people. Yet on the boat there wasn’t a single ...Read More »
- At the sound, men may dream or stomp their feet at the sound of me, women may laugh or sometimes ...Read More »
- In Soldiers Parade, Captain Jacob gives the order to soldiers – Right Turn – About turn – Left turn Assuming ...Read More »
- I had to walk along a long street to reach the bridge from where i wanted to watch the sunrise. ...Read More »
- Think of a number. Add 7 to it. Subtract 2. Subtract your original number. Multiply by 4. Subtract 2.Read More »
- CORSET, COSTER, SECTOR, ESCORT, COURTS – which is the odd out of these and why ?Read More »
- There is bomb on top of a computer, around the computer are a hairbrush, keys, phone and a cup. When ...Read More »
- An explorer goes on an exposition in the jungle. He sets up camp in the middle of the jungle. The ...Read More »
- Take a piece of paper and draw a Pi as shown in the figure. Now cut it from the given ...Read More »
- You have lost your mother at the carnival. You search for her and eventually you see her. What’s the first ...Read More »
- Harry Potter with his friends plans to go to the Treasure Island. It needed six days to reach there. One ...Read More »
- Three ants are sitting at the three corners of an equilateral triangle. Each ant randomly picks a direction and starts ...Read More »
- It can bring tears to your eyes; breathe new life into the dead, make you smile, and reverse time. It ...Read More »
- If it takes three men two days to dig a hole, how long does it take one man to dig ...Read More »
- Name an English word of more than two letters that both begins and ends with the letters “he” in the ...Read More »
- A man desired to get into his work building, however he had forgotten his code. However, he did recollect five ...Read More »
- At a farm, you are asked to identify these common plants from their blooms:Read More »