Pizza Cost Math Brain Teaser
Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out that Jasmine and Thibault were hungrier than Noah. They both ate 6 slices a piece, and Noah got to eat just 2 slices.
Now they want to do a fair split of money. The problem is that none of them have coins with them. Thus, they want to round off the cost to nearest dollar.
What will be the correct way to do it?
What if the pizza’s cost was $11?
Without any approximation, the results turn out to be:
Noah ~ 1.5
Now, considering that Jasmine and Thibault had equal slices, they must pay equal. Thus they are rounded off to 5 and Noah pays 1. This makes sense also because the decimal value of Noah is least so he should be the one to pay lower value of the rounded numbers.
As Thibault & Jasmine ate equal quantity, they should pay the same amount. But since that’s not possible, they can decide with fair coin toss to decide who will pay the extra dollar. Now, let’s assume that Thibault pays $1 extra after losing
Thibault will pay $5, Jasmine will pay $4 and Noah will pay $2.
As given, the pizza’s cost is $11.
We can simply keep the same offset and divide. Thibault is paying 6% more, Jasmine is paying 15% more and Noah is paying 27% more.
Keeping the offset same both Thibault & Jasmine will pay $5 each and Noah will pay $1
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »
- There is a building of 100 floors -If an egg drops from the Nth floor or above it will break. ...Read More »