Two uneven ropes
There are two ropes which are of different length.
Each rope takes 60 minutes to burn completely when set on fire from one end.
You have to measure 45 minutes of time with the help of this ropes.
You cannot fold the ropes to half or tamper any of them.
The considering point over here is that neither of the ropes can be folded.
Take any of the rope , and set it on fire from both the ends. (Lets consider this as rope A)
At the same time, light up the other rope (rope B) from one end.
Now when the first rope (rope A) gets completely burnt, light up the second rope from the other end.
When the second rope completely burns, the entire process from the beginning would have taken 45 minutes.
It would take exactly 30 minutes for the rope A to completely burn when set on fire from both the ends.
At the same time rope B is also set on fire from on end.
So, when rope completely burns, rope B would’ve exactly burnt through it’s half way.
Rope B would still require 30 more minutes to burn completely.
By now we have measured 30 minutes, and now we need 15 more minutes.
So now, light up the other end of rope B.
Rope B would burn completely by 15 minutes.
Thus, 30 + 15 = 45
Take the two ropes and tie them together around halfway of each other. Then take both of the ends of ropes and tie those together around halfway as well. After setting aflame the bottom ends of the rope, just wait until they reach the second knot. 45 Minutes will have passed.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- There is a building of 100 floors -If an egg drops from the Nth floor or above it will break. ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »