100000 dollar stealing case
Max leaves a $100,000 dollar bill on his desk and leaves work. When Max returns the money is gone.
He has three suspects: the cook, the cleaning lady, and the mail guy.
The cook says he put the money under a book on his desk to keep it safe. They check and it is no longer there.
The maid says she moved it when she was cleaning to the inside of the book between page 1 and 2. They open the book and look between page number 1 and 2 but it isn’t there.
The mail guy says he saw it sticking out of the book and to keep it safe he moved it to between page number 2 and 3.
Once they are done the culprit is promptly arrested.
Who did it and how did Max know?
Answer – Mail Boy did it
1. Cook kept under the book – Possible
2. Maid kept in between page 1 & 2 – Possible (As they checked between page 1 & 2)
Mail boy saw the bill sticking out of the book it means it was kept in the book. So, maid was innocent
3. Mail Boy -kept in between page 2 & 3. – NOT possible
If A normal book have 1 & 2 pages on separate sheet then, 2 & 3 must be on same sheet and so cant hold anything in between,
So, Mail Boy case is not possible and hence, he was lying.
The maid: ‘Put the note inside the book between page 1 and 2′.
Er… but in a normal book, pages 1 and 2 are on either side of the same sheet. Then how could it be possible that the note was placed ‘between’…? So, she must have lied, right…?
Ah… well, but then, the next sentence (in the puzzle) says they looked ‘between page number 1 and 2 but it isn’t there’. Well, if pages 1 & 2 were indeed on either side of a single sheet, how could they “look between” the pages? It’s possible only if pages 1 & 2 were on separate sheets.
Now, The mail guy: ‘Moved it to between page number 2 and 3’.
Well, in an ordinary book, it’s very much possible. But… check the scenario above once again… It says they ‘looked ‘between page number 1 and 2′ which is possible only if those pages were on separate sheets. If that was the case, the pages 2 & 3 must be on either side of the same sheet. In that case, Mr. Mail man should be the one…
(Aah… wait…! What if the book was even more ‘strange’ and numbered pages on one side of paper only…? Then both the cases (‘between pages 1 & 2 and between 2 & 3) would be equally possible. Can’t be ruled out, especially when they could ‘look between’ pages & 2…!)
The mail guy is the culprit because the maid kept the bill between pages 1 and 2 (and they checked – that means page 1 and 2 are opposite pages) , now the mail guy told that he placed the bill between page 2 and 3 which is not possible.
Hence mail guy is the culprit
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »