25 seat bar riddle
There is a bar with 25 seats in a line. The people there are anti-social so when they walk in the bar, they always try to find a seat farthest away from others. If one person walks in and find there is no seat are adjacent to nobody, that person will walk away. The bar owner wants as many people as possible. The owner can tell the first customer where to sit. all the other customers will pick the farthest possible seat from others.
So where should the first customer sit?
Answer – 9 or 17
Consider a case. If the number of seats is n = (2^k)+1 for some k, then, the maximum possible seating of (n/2)+1 can be achieved by having the first person sit at position 1 or n or ceil(n/2).
This is true since when n=(2^k)+1, then, when someone sits in the first or middle or the last seat then all the other gaps are of length in powers of 2 (as suggested above by Vinay).
This implies that for this problem, with n=25, we need to split it into n1 and n2 such that: n1 = (2^k1)+1 and n2 = (2^k2)+1, for some k1, k2. Note that n1+n2 = n+1 = 26 (since they both share a common seat).
Thus, the only possible values are 9 or 17.
More puzzles to try-
- Little Billy was four years old and both his parents were dead. His guardian put him on a train to ...Read More »
- If you have a cake, how many pieces of cake can you form with 3 straight cuts?Read More »
- Two men went into a restaurant. They sat at a table and the waiter came by and asked, “What do ...Read More »
- There are 100 doors, all closed. In a nearby cage are 100 monkeys. The first monkey is let out, and ...Read More »
- An engineer in a car manufacturing company designs a world class car. The owner is impressed with the outcome and ...Read More »
- There are two planes. One is going from New York to London at a speed of 600 MPH. The other ...Read More »
- The harmonic series–that is, 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + …–diverges. That is, the sum is not finite. ...Read More »
- Tom’s dad had told him that if he could get an A+ on his final exam, he could get him ...Read More »
- On a circle there are 2014 light bulbs, 2 are ON, and 2012 are OFF. You can choose any bulb ...Read More »
- What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?Read More »
- A man went into a bank to cash a check. In handing over the money the cashier, by mistake, gave ...Read More »
- If a white house is white and a yellow house is yellow, what color is a green house?Read More »
- Emperor Akbar once ruled over India. He was a wise and intelligent ruler, and he had in his court the ...Read More »
- An analog clock showing 3:15. What is the angle between the minute hand and hour hand?Read More »
- What goes around the world but stays in a corner?Read More »
- How many times does a coin rotate in rolling completely about another coin, of the same size, without slipping, whilst ...Read More »
- A man kills his wife and hides the body in some bushes. The next day the police call and say ...Read More »
- The path to enlightenment lies behind one of two doors. In front of each door stands a guard who knows ...Read More »
- Can you protect the planets from the meteor shower? Draw nine straight lines through the box below to separate the ...Read More »
- There was a man who was born before his father, killed his mother, and married his sister. Yet there was ...Read More »