Can you calculate the total elapsed time – [HARD]
An observation is made on a clock and it is found that the hour hand is placed exactly at the minute mark while the minute hand is six minutes ahead it. After some time, the clock is observed again and it is found that the hour hand is exactly on another minute mark while the minute hand is seven minutes ahead of it.
Analyzing this data, can you calculate the total time that has elapsed between the two observations?
2 hours and 12 minutes.
This question can actually be answered with less information–it’s not necessary to know how far ahead the minute hand is, only how much further ahead it is the second time. So this answer considers the question to be:
An observation is made on a clock and it is found that the hour hand is placed exactly at the minute mark. After some time, the clock is observed again and it is found that the hour hand is exactly on another minute mark while the minute hand is one minute further ahead of the hour hand than the minute hand was ahead of the hour hand when the first observation was made.
Every 12 minutes, or five times an hour, the hour hand is exactly on a minute mark. Every 12 minutes, the minute hand advances 12 minutes and the hour hand advances one minute, so the distance between the hour and minute hand increases by 11, modulo 60.
If the number of 12-minute periods that pass is p, then we want to solve for 11p modulo 60 = 1. So starting with 1, keep adding 60 until we find the first multiple of 11:
1, 61, 121 <– BINGO
121 = 11 * 11, so the minimum number of 12 minute periods that have passed is p = 11. 11 * 12 = 132 minutes = 2 hours and 12 minutes.
Since 11 and 60 are relatively prime, we know that in a 12 hour period, the hour hand will be on a minute mark 60 different times and the amount the minute hand is ahead of the hour hand will be different on each occasion, with the difference assuming each of the values from 0 to 59. This realization is what allows the problem to be uniquely solved with only the information about how much the difference between the hour and minute hand changed.
ANSWER- 2hr 11min
This question cannot be solved unless you know a fact i.e. the hour hand is exactly on the minute mark five times every hour – on the hour, 12 minutes past hour, 24 minutes past hour, 36 minutes past hour and 48 minutes past hour.
Denoting the number of hours as X and the number of minutes as Y, and lets begin with the calculation.
When we have the hour hand on the minute mark,
The position of hour hand: 5X + Y/12
And the position of the minute hand = Y
When the first observation was taken,
Y = Y = 5X + Y/12 + 6
Or, 60X = 11Y – 72.
With the given facts, we know for sure that Y can only be 0, 12, 24, 36 or 48.
According to which, the possible values for X and Y can be 1 and 12 respectively. Thus the time must be 1:12 when the first observation was taken.
Similarly, in the second observation, let’s make the equation:
60X = 11Y – 84
Here, the possible values for X and Y here are 3 and 24 respectively. According to this, the time is 3:24 for sure.
From 1:12 to 3:24, two hours and eleven minutes have passed.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »