coin unceasing riddle
Jacob and John are competing for the same girl. After years of battling, both decide to settle it by tossing a coin.
John produces a coin, but Jacob doesn’t happen to have one on him. Jacob is sure that the coin John has produced is loaded, i.e. it will come up with heads more than 50% of the time on average.
How do Jacob arrange a fair contest, based purely on chance and not skill, by flipping this coin?
Variation: (COIN BIASING) Jacob and John are competing for the same girl, and decide to settle it with a coin toss. John has known the girl longer than Jacob have, so Jacob agree that it is fair for him to have a chance of winning equal to P, where P > 0.5. However, Jacob only have a fair coin. How can you conduct this contest such that the biased probability is manifested? What is the average number of coin flips needed to determine a winner?
Let Jason do the tossing. He doesn’t know if or how the coin is loaded, so he also doesn’t know how to toss the coin to favor on of the sides.
Toss the coin N times (where N is even). Count the heads in the odd tosses for John and in the even tosses for Jacob. The one who has the greatest number of heads wins.
For the variation just multiply the number for John with a factor x (x>1) so his chance of winning the game increases.
Unfortunately I don’t have time to calculate the relation between x and p.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »