Smart land division puzzle!!
An old man is dying and doesn’t have enough time. The problem bugging him is the division of his land. For all these years, he has always treated his sons equally and wants to divide his land into equal parts and give them to his sons before he dies.
There is a big problem – The land is irregular in shape and thus it cannot be divided into two equal halves without going through detailed measurements. The man does not have enough time now.
How can the land be divided such that each son is happy with his share without going into all sorts of calculations?
In order to divide it in an approximate way at least, the man could give each of his sons equal volumes of paint of different colors, then ask the sons to start painting the land without overlapping any two colors till they run out of paint. Of course the amount of paint to be given has to be approximated. This can be done by painting a small area of land elsewhere then using simple calculations to find the volume that will be required for the area of the original land, then divide the volume between the sons in equal amounts. In the end, the area each son painted could be designated to him.
They will start walk from a single point A in opposite direction .. touching the circumference of the land.. and until they meet at a point B. Once meet, they will create a line touching A nd B , which help to divide the land into 2 parts … each son can take one part…
The clue for solving this riddle lies in the fact that: “land be divided such that each son is happy with his share“, So it does not have to be equal at all, only close enough for equality!!. So it is very simple: I suppose there is a map of the land. If so, take a the father (or any other person) can take a long enough item (a ruler) that covers that shape of the map and than starts slowly moving it over the map. (lets say from left to right). The 1st son that says “STOP” will get the
area from the beginning until this point. This way we guarantee that “each son is happy with his share”. ( Neither of them will say “STOP” before he is sure that he does not get to much smaller than his brother).
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- A boy asks his father, “what is the age of grand father?“. Father replied “He is x years old in ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »