True & False riddle
Consider a list of 2000 statements:
1) Exactly one statement on this list is false.
2) Exactly two statements on this list are false.
3) Exactly three statements on this list are false.
. . .
2000) Exactly 2000 statements on this list are false.
Which statements are true and which are false?
What happens if you replace “exactly” with “at least”?
What happens if you replace “exactly” with “at most”?
What happens in all three cases if you replace “false” with “true”?
The first riddle is simple.
All statements are mutually exclusive.
If statement 20 would be true all other statements would be false.
Which means that there can only be one true statement and 1999 false statements.
So statement 1999 “Exactly 1999 statements on this list are false.” is true.
replace “exactly” with “at least”
If statement X is true then there are at least X false statements.
Which means that there are also at least X-1 statements false and that makes statement X-1 also true.
So then X statements are true and at least X statements are false.
Because the total number of statements is 2000, X will be 1000.
The statements 1 to 1000 are true and 1001 to 2000 are false.
replace “exactly” with “at most”
Statement 2000 is true because with only 2000 statements there can be at most 2000 false statements.
If statement X and all statements after that are true then there are at most X-1 false statements which means that statement X-1 is also true.
This means that all statements before X are also true.
So all statements are true. (no false statements meets the condition of “at most X are false”.)
replace “false” with “true”
The statements are still all mutually exclusive.
So only one statement is true and that is the first statement.
replace “false” with “true” and “exactly” with “at least”
If statement X is false then all statements after X must be false because there are at most X-1 true statements.
That also means that when statement X is true all statements before statement X must be true.
And here have a problem.
If we assume that statements 2 to 2000 are all false and only look at statement 1.
If statement 1 is true than there is “at least one true statement”
But if statements 1 is false there is not “at least one true statement”
Both are solutions of the riddle.
So there are 2001 good solutions.
replace “false” with “true” and “exactly” with “at most”
If statement X is true then there are at most X true statements.
Which means that there are also at most X+1 statements true and that makes statement X+1 also true.
So there are at most X true statements but also at least (2001 – X) true statements.
The statements 1 to 1000 are false and 1001 to 2000 are true.
More puzzles to try-
- A 50m wide river is flowing endlessly. Two boys are standing near the lakeside, wanting to cross the river. A ...Read More »
- A sharpshooter hung up his hat and put on a blindfold. He then walked 100 yards, turned around, and shot ...Read More »
- If you have an 11 minute and 13 minute hourglass, how can you accurately time 15 minutes?Read More »
- At the local Puzzlefry Internet dispatch center, the packing department was getting ready for the weekend. However, it was late ...Read More »
- Two friends were driving from their home to Manchester, Kevin drove the first 90 miles, and Daniel took over the ...Read More »
- Mr. PK was all set to go to the village of WonderLand to meet his friend. So, he packed his ...Read More »
- As it often happens in life evil warlock imprisoned a wise man. Surprisingly he gave him a chance to save ...Read More »
- One man has a habit of smoking cigarettes regularly. He has a strange habit of smoking even filters of the ...Read More »
- I am hot but if you remove first two alphabets then I will become really cold. Who am I ?Read More »
- The circumference of the Earth is approximately 40,000 kilometers, and someone has just made a metal band that circles the ...Read More »
- * You are playing with white and its ur turnRead More »
- This logic puzzle was published in Martin Gardner’s column in the Scientific American. You are in a room with no ...Read More »
- A patient was diagnose with some ailment. He was given five different tablets to take at night at an interval ...Read More »
- Suppose there are twin brothers; one which always tells the truth and one which always lies. What single yes/no question ...Read More »
- Each of the four eleven letter words below use the letter N in the center. Can you determine what each ...Read More »
- I was invited on a pet show by a fellow colleague. Since I was a bit busy that day, I ...Read More »
- There is a grandad, a dad and 2 sons. They all go hunting and they all shoot a bird each ...Read More »
- An observation is made on a clock and it is found that the hour hand is placed exactly at the ...Read More »
- A detective who was mere days away from cracking an international oil smuggling ring has suddenly gone missing. While inspecting ...Read More »
- The Queen lives in a beautiful castle with her only son and a sheep-dog named Sir Foo Foo. One day ...Read More »