Wife murder investigation puzzle
A man murders his wife with a knife in their car. Nobody is around to see this. He throws her out of the car being careful not to leave any fingerprints on her body. Next he throws the knife off of a cliff into a gorge where it will never be found and he goes home. An hour later the police call him and tell him that his wife has been murdered and he needs to come to the scene of the crime immediately. As soon as he arrives, he is arrested.
How did they know he did it?
This seems to be a refined version of a similar ‘wife murdered’ puzzle that had appeared here, the ‘key’ to the solution being the (assumed) clue that the Police had NOT informed the husband where the crime scene was located. (If Police didn’t tell him, how could he have known the scene of crime, unless he himself was the killer?)
(I said ‘refined version’ because, in the original version, the fact that the husband himself had done the killing was not stated. However, the man does have an argument in his favour.)
The possibility of having blood on his clothes is also refutable, as the puzzle states that he was careful enough to avoid finger prints and to dispose off the knife in such a way that it won’t be found. A criminal who is careful enough to wipe out incriminating evidence should have been hit by a massive bout of ‘short-term idiocy’ if he were to retain his blood-stained clothes, let alone going to the crime scene in those tell-tale clothes.
In my ‘answer’, I mentioned ‘assumed‘ clue because it is only an assumption, and NOT necessarily be valid (as Yodha pointed out). And even in that “assumed” scenario, the case would still have a hole right in the middle.
THE POSSIBILITY OF BLOOD is still there as people get relaxed when the job is done .stopping their critical thinking mode of brain .EXPLANATION OF WHAT Viji_Pinarayi POINTED OUT ABOUT “SHOT TERM IDIOCY “..i just assume this possiblity .i am NOT FIGHTING FOR IT.
It is true, as Yodha suggested, that people tend to get relaxed once they feel that the job is done, and may ignore some piece of evidence somewhere. (That’s mostly where the investigator can pick up and lead to the culprit). But, for a criminal who is knowledgeable and thoughtful enough to such an extent that no fingerprints are left behind and the weapon is discarded never to be retrieved, forgetting to change the blood-stained clothes (which is tell-tale evidence) seems extremely unlikely. Of course, there still is the possibility that he might change his dress, clean his footwear etc. and be satisfied with the efforts and hence be relaxed, thinking that he’s pulled off a perfect one, and yet end up caught because he missed a spot somewhere. But then, it is even more unlikely that such minute evidence will be noticed “as soon as he arrived” at the crime scene, as mentioned in the puzzle.
And, well, I’m also not fighting for or against any argument, but pointing out (fighting against?) the defect inherent in the puzzle – that it doesn’t have a fool-proof solution. Because of that fault, you need a ‘faulty assumption’ to solve it. (You can arrest the man alright, but, to get a guilty verdict, you need a water-tight case , which, unfortunately, is not there.)
well the extent of feeling of relaxation depends on the trouble a man is facing because of his wife.why would someone generally speaking kill his wife must be in a lot of pain.most of the problem in the world are caused by getting carried away in feelings.point no 2 the things he knew seems to be ordinary these days with these tv and films around so can’t say about knowledgeable personality
THERE WAS BLOOD ON HIS CLOTHES(ONLY A POSSIBILITY)
there is a possiblity that he went to the crime scene but police did not tell him where the crime has commited.so he is killer.but it is pretty obvious that if they tell him to come to crime they would have told him the address .policeman wont assume this that his husband would be criminal unless he knows about their relationship
It’s true that the man’s post-murder moves (avoiding fingerprints, discarding the knife etc.) are, of course, pretty ordinary in today’s world of crimes. Any criminal with the minimum level of sense would ensure the same. But then, changing / discarding the blood-stained clothes is at an even lower level of fundamentals of crime-hiding. Even in an era before the introduction of finger-print identification technology and other scientific investigation techniques, a blood-stained dress would have been nothing short of a loud announcement “Here comes a murderer…!”
the address of scene has not being informed … so as he reach there police got the idea that he have done the crime but i would like to say that it is not mentioned that the place of scene is not being informed so the answer is being given by assuming that it has not being informed…
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »