Sticks and time measurement riddle
There are two sticks. Each stick takes one hour to burn. These sticks are not identical, nor are they uniform. i.e. it does not necessarily take half an hour for half the stick to burn.
With only these two sticks and a way to light them, how do you measure out 45 minutes?
As the sticks do not burn at a constant rate, we can not use the length of the stick as any sort of measurement of time.
But, If we light a stick, it takes 60 minutes to burn completely.
What if we light the stick from both sides? It will take exactly half the original time, i.e. 30 minutes to burn completely.
0 minutes – Light stick 1 on both sides and stick 2 on one side.
30 minutes – Stick 1 will be burnt out(0min left to burn). Light the other end of stick 2(After lighting other end 15min left).
45 minutes – Stick 2 will be burnt out.
More puzzles to try-
- What is the fewest number of coins would be required in order to make sure each and every coin touches ...Read More »
- John and his younger brother were fighting. Their father was tired of the fighting and decided to punish them by ...Read More »
- Distances from you to Man united is written below- CHELSEA and ARSENAL are 700 kms away SPURS 1800 kms away ...Read More »
- A valuable painting was stolen from the Liars’ Club, but the police are having a hard time identifying the culprit ...Read More »
- Last time I visited a friend’s farm near Bangalore he gave me a bag containing 1000 peanuts. From this I ...Read More »
- Which building got the most stories? Read More »
- A man and his boss have the same parents, but are not siblings. How is this possible?Read More »
- Three Masters of Logic wanted to find out who was the wisest amongst them. So they turned to their Grand ...Read More »
- Farmer John has a chicken farm. On a certain day, John calculates in how many days he will run out ...Read More »
- what will you do if a man comes to you and show a gun?Read More »
- Andrew is shuffling a pack of 54 cards in total and after some time, he takes out a joker card. ...Read More »
- Which letter of the alphabet has the most water?Read More »
- The more you cut into me the bigger I grow. What am I?Read More »
- You are trapped into a death trap by the famous jigsaw killer. As usual, a screen flashes in front of ...Read More »
- It fits in with other people, but it can not talk. It create pictures, but it can not see. What ...Read More »
- A man comes home from work and says “honey I m home”. The microwave is on, defrosting a chicken dinner. ...Read More »
- A poor man is sitting in a pub. He sees that the man next to him is extremely rich. Poor ...Read More »
- Santa distributes 2 gifts to every child in the street at the Christmas evening. He mistakenly gives 4 gifts to ...Read More »
- Can you decipher the following common phrase? T M C A U O H S M W T ERead More »
- Harry Potter with his friends plans to go to the Treasure Island. It needed six days to reach there. One ...Read More »