Who is taller A or B?
500 men are arranged in an array of 10 rows and 50 columns according to their heights.
Tallest among each row of all are asked to come out. And the shortest among them is A.
Similarly after resuming them to their original positions, the shortest among each column are asked to come out. And the tallest among them is B.
Now who is taller A or B ?
Both are same as A and B are the same person.
As it is mentioned that 500 men are arranged in an array of 10 rows and 50 columns according to their heights.
Let’s assume that position numbers represent their heights.
the shortest among the 50, 100, 150, … 450, 500 is person with height 50 i.e. A. Similarly the tallest among 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ….. 48, 48, 50 is person with height 50 i.e. B
Now, both A and B are the person with height 50.
Hence both are same.
- The key is to notice that the men are placed according to their heights. If it were any other way the answer could not be deduced
Now, assign natural numbers in increasing order to each of the men, indicative of their heights.
Last man in row 1 is assigned 50, last one in row2 -100 and so on till last one in row 10-500
The last person in each row is the tallest one, A is the shortest in this set (50,100,150… 500), therefore A is 50
Also the shortest in the last column, ie the set of(50,100,150… 500), is 50.
Since all other elements in the set containing shortest of each column, will ultimately contain elements from the first row (men in higher rows are taller),50 is the tallest of this set. Therefore B is 50
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »