Traveller trapped by king puzzle
A very intelligent and kind Traveller was trapped by a King, King wants to check his intelligence and kindness at the same time.
So he sets up a scenario where he asks traveller to play the “Sword Killing” game.
In this game ’N’ number of people have to stand in a circle in an order 1 to ’N’ and someone of them has a Sword, so when the game starts the person with the sword kills the left adjacent person and passes the sword to the next person, next person do the same again and this keeps on going until only one person survives at the end.
For example: – At starting, Person at 18th position have the sword, and the game starts, then the 18th position person kills 19th position person and passes sword to 20th position person, 20th person kills 21st person and passes sword to 22nd person and so on till only one person survives.
The twist King makes is that, he make the traveller stand at 489th position in the circle, and asks traveller to choose any number of people he wants to make stand in the circle, where traveller’s position will be fixed (489th) and also gave him option for starting this game from any position (Sword Initially with this position) . The basic rules for the game still remains same.
==>> SP (Starting Position): – Position of person the game starts from.
e.g. if SP=103 >> At starting Person at 103th position have the sword, and the game starts in a way that he kills 104 and passes it to 105 and so on till only one survives, which in this case should be 489th position person.
==>> N :- Total no. of people standing in the circle at the starting. N includes traveller as well.
For e.g. if N=500, it includes person standing at 489(or the traveller himself).
It is also understandable that N>=489
==>> Traveller is very Kind and wants to kill least no. of people as possible. Although he is kind but he prioritises his life over others.
i.e. he wants to save himself, but by killing minimum no. of people.
So you need to determine what would be value of N and SP, if Traveller wants to prove his kindness and intelligence.
If the traveller is really kind he will make himself the starting point and kill the king with the sword and let all the others live.
When following the rules he also should make himself the starting point.
The total number of people should be a power of 2 and the lowest power of 2 greater than 489 would be 512.
Although his position is 489, when he starts the game his actual position is 1.
When the sword did a full round all the even numbers would be killed.
After renumbering all positions in the next round also all even numbers will be killed.
In the end only person number 1 will be left (when the total number of persons is a power of 2).
More puzzles to try-
- Tally, Lisa, and Bernad are triplets. But Tally and Lisa share something that Berand does not. What is it?Read More »
- Two words combined with a letter dropped and a letter changed to make a directionRead More »
- Assuming that there are nearly 7,000,000,000 (7 billion) people on Earth, estimate the size of number you’d get if you ...Read More »
- A man is sitting in a pub feeling rather poor. He sees the man next to him pull a wad ...Read More »
- If I am holding a bee, what do I have in my eye?Read More »
- Akbar and Birbal are strolling in a garden. Akbar says,”You know Birbal, I had a dream last night,in which both ...Read More »
- On a windy rainy night , I was driving in my car. When i reach the bus stand , i ...Read More »
- Two mathematicians Andrew and Bason were sitting face to face when Andrew came up with an idea in mind. He ...Read More »
- A sharpshooter hung up his hat and put on a blindfold. He then walked 100 yards, turned around, and shot ...Read More »
- An electrician has two two-way switches (single-pole, double-throw), a light bulb, and a power source. How should he connect the ...Read More »
- A man is lying dead in a field. Next to him there is an unopened package. There is no other ...Read More »
- Mr. Jacob is on a secret mission and it is 05 January so he wants to send a message to ...Read More »
- A special integer exists in mathematics that shows a special property. If you subtract any number from that integer, the ...Read More »
- You have 100 doors in a row that are all initially closed. you make 100 passes by the doors starting ...Read More »
- No voice, but it still cries. No wings, but it still flutters. No teeth, but it still bites. No mouth, ...Read More »
- There is a table with a row of 2014 cards. Each card has a red side and a blue side. ...Read More »
- CUP : LIP :: BIRD : ? A. GRASS B. FOREST C. BEAK D. BUSHRead More »
- Imagine you are in space. How do you get down on the Earth?Read More »
- I am a 5 letter word if you add more letters to me I become shorter. What am I?Read More »
- When my uncle in Madura died recently, he left a will, instructing his executors to divide his estate of Rs. ...Read More »