8 Travelers river crossing puzzle
We have 8 travelers:
– 1 criminal,
– 1 police man,
– 1 mother with her 2 daughters,
– 1 father with his 2 sons (2 different families).
- The mother wants to kill the 2 sons,
- the father wants to kill the 2 daughters
- The criminal wants to kill everybody
- The criminal can’t kill anybody if the police man is present.
- The mother can’t kill the sons if the father is present,
- the father can’t kill the daughters if the mother is present.
- The police man will not prevent the mother or the father from killing any of the children.
All eight travelers arrive at a river at the same time. They want to get across. However, there is only one boat, which can take maximal two people. The boat can only be navigated by an adult.
How can you get all eight people across the river, without anybody getting killed?
The criminal can’t kill anybody if the police man is present.
He can kill the policeman and then every others.
But that’s not possible only because he can’t kill the policeman.
Moreover, the policeman is always present with himself.
So it’s clear the criminal won’t kill the policeman!!!
1st trip: Police,Criminal will cross……………..Police will return
2st trip: Police,1st Son will cross……………..Police and Criminal will return
3st trip: Father,2nd Son will cross……………..Father will return
4st trip: Father,Mother will cross……………..Mother will return
5st trip: Police,Criminal will cross……………..Father will return
6st trip: Father,Mother will cross……………..Mother will return
7st trip: Mother,1st Daughter will cross…………….Police and Criminal will return
8st trip: Police,2nd Daughter will cross……………..Police will return
9st trip: Police,Criminal will cross……………..Nobody will return
So, by this way everybody will cross the river!!!
“How can you get all eight people across the river, without anybody getting killed?”
So only we need to ensure that they will cross the river. Its not necessary that the process must be optimal though it’s already optimal,I guess .:)
father will take one daughter across. then come back then he will take one son across and come back .then he will take mother across.then he will return and police man will go across with criminal.mother will return with the boat.father will take daughter accross across.and return.then father will take mother across .then police will take criminal back to the shore they started with and will get across with son
then he will return and take criminal away with him
1.Policeman and Criminal goes
3.Policeman and Son1 Goes.
4.Policeman and Criminal Returns.
5.Father and Son2 Goes.
7.Father and Mother Goes.
9.Policeman and criminal Goes.
11.Father and Mother Goes.
13.Mother and Daughter1 Goes.
14.Policeman and Criminal Returns
15.Policeman and Daughter2 Goes.
17.Policeman and Criminal Goes
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »