1000 poisioned wine bottle and king’s celebration puzzle
You are the ruler of a medieval empire and you are about to have a celebration tomorrow. The celebration is the most important party you have ever hosted. You’ve got 1000 bottles of wine you were planning to open for the celebration, but you find out that one of them is poisoned.
The poison exhibits no symptoms until death. Death occurs within ten to twenty hours after consuming even the minutest amount of poison.
You have over a thousand slaves at your disposal and just under 24 hours to determine which single bottle is poisoned.
You have a handful of prisoners about to be executed, and it would mar your celebration to have anyone else killed.
What is the smallest number of prisoners you must have to drink from the bottles to be absolutely sure to find the poisoned bottle within 24 hours?
10 prisoners must sample the wine. Bonus points if you worked out a way to ensure than no more than 8 prisoners die.
Number all bottles using binary digits. Assign each prisoner to one of the binary flags. Prisoners must take a sip from each bottle where their binary flag is set.
Here is how you would find one poisoned bottle out of eight total bottles of wine.
Bottle | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Prisoner A | X | X | X | X | X | X | X | X |
Prisoner B | X | X | X | X | X | X | X | X |
Prisoner C | X | X | X | X | X | X | X | X |
In the above example, if all prisoners die, bottle 8 is bad. If none die, bottle 1 is bad. If A & B dies, bottle 4 is bad.
With ten people there are 1024 unique combinations so you could test up to 1024 bottles of wine.
Each of the ten prisoners will take a small sip from about 500 bottles. Each sip should take no longer than 30 seconds and should be a very small amount. Small sips not only leave more wine for guests. Small sips also avoid death by alcohol poisoning. As long as each prisoner is administered about a millilitre from each bottle, they will only consume the equivalent of about one bottle of wine each.
Each prisoner will have at least a fifty percent chance of living. There is only one binary combination where all prisoners must sip from the wine. If there are ten prisoners then there are ten more combinations where all but one prisoner must sip from the wine. By avoiding these two types of combinations you can ensure no more than 8 prisoners die.
Number the bottles 1 to 1000, and write the number in binary format.
bottle 1 = 0000000001
bottle 250 = 0011111010
bottle 1000 = 1111101000
Now take your prisoner’s 1 through 10
Let prisoner 1 take a sip from every bottle that has a 1 in its least significant bit.
Let prisoner 10 take a sip from every bottle with a 1 in its most significant bit. etc.
Prisoner – 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Bottle 924 – 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0
In this, bottle #924 would be sipped by 10,9,8,5,4 and 3
That way if bottle #924 was the poisoned one, only those prisoners would die.
After four weeks,
line the prisoners up in their bit order and read each living prisoner as a 0 bit and each dead prisoner as a 1 bit.
The number that you get is the bottle of wine that was poisoned.
More puzzles to try-
- Little Johnny’s teacher asks him, “If I gave you two cats, then two more, and two more cats; how many ...Read More »
- You probably eat this chemical every day. Do you know what it is?Read More »
- My residence is above a star and yet I don’t burn, I have eleven friends who do not turn, Never ...Read More »
- It is icy and cold morning in the Mexico. Mr. Jacob, a school bus driver arrived to pick the kids ...Read More »
- MrBrown is a witty trader who trade of a mystical fruit grown far in north. He travels from one place ...Read More »
- Fariha invented a game! In that game, Fariha kept 5 plates on a circular dining table! The plates were marked ...Read More »
- Who are people you see everyday, but you don’t know?Read More »
- Guess whats the wordRead More »
- I am a nice word composed of five letters, but the Romans would call me a numbers. What am I?Read More »
- Use the homophones “to”, “too”, and “two” in one question.Read More »
- In a party of 35 people, there are twice as many women as children and twice as many children as ...Read More »
- Farmer John has a chicken farm. On a certain day, John calculates in how many days he will run out ...Read More »
- A taxi driver who is a serial killer kidnaps his passenger and force the passenger to play the game of ...Read More »
- A short man takes three steps to a tall man’s two steps. They both start out on the left foot. ...Read More »
- This was the second problem for Google Code Jam Qualification round 2014, if you are able to solve this problem ...Read More »
- Doremon organized a race in which Schinchen, jerry, Oggy, and Nobita have participated. The results of the race is as ...Read More »
- A very famous chemist was found murdered in his kitchen today. The police have narrowed it down to six suspects. ...Read More »
- A man shaves several times a day, yet he still has a beard. Who is this man?Read More »
- Given these equations, what does 4500 equal? 8898=7 4566=2 1203=1 2313=0 4566=2 5464=1 7774=0 1003=2 9856=4 9955=2 1886=5 1231=0 8764=3 ...Read More »
- Can you find a word to match each category and starts with the letter in the left column? . ...Read More »