Cottage muder investigation puzzle
A wealthy man lives alone in a small cottage. Being partially handicapped, he had everything delivered to his cottage. The mailman was delivering a letter one Thursday when he noticed that the front door was ajar. Through the opening he could see the man’s body lying in a pool of dried blood.
When a police officer along with sherlock holmes arrived they surveyed the scene. On the porch were two bottles of warm milk, Monday’s newspaper, a catalogue, flyers, and unopened mail. Sherlock Holmes suspects it was foul play.
Who does he suspect and why?
The newspaper man could be a viable suspect. The blood id dried means that the dead man was killed long time back. The milk was warm, means it was delivered recently – may be a few minutes ago. But the newspaper found on the porch was of Monday, which means that the last tine newspaper man made delivery was on Monday. Why didn’t he deliver on the next three days? (Probably) because he knew that the man is already dead. That makes him guilty of at least hiding a crime if not himself committing it.
(The newspaper man may argue that he didn’t deliver the papers after Monday because the (now-dead) man had told him (on Monday) that he was going out of town for a week or so. But the argument is weak, because, had the man planned any such trip, he would have informed the milkman also, and he also wouldn’t have made the delivery.)
The person delivering the newspaper. Since the man was lying in a pool of dried blood, the murder must have happened before and the newspaper on the porch was the Monday one. So the suspect saw the murder and didn’t report it or he himself murdered the man.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »