Car Thief puzzle
A rather silly car thief stole, without knowing it, the car of the chief of police. The police immediately started an investigation and based on witness depositions, four suspects were arrested that were seen near the car at the time of the crime.
Because the chief of police took the case very seriously, he decided to examine the suspects personally and use the new lie detector of the police station. Each suspect gave three statements during the examinations, which are listed below:
“In high school, I was in the same class as suspect C.”
“Suspect B has no driving license.”
“The thief didn’t know that it was the car of the chief of police.”
“Suspect C is the guilty one.”
“Suspect A is not guilty.”
“I never sat behind the wheel of a car.”
“I never met suspect A until today.”
“Suspect B is innocent.”
“Suspect D is the guilty one.”
“Suspect C is innocent.”
“I didn’t do it.”
“Suspect A is the guilty one.”
With so many contradicting statements, the chief of police lost track. To make things worse, it appeared that the lie detector did not quite work yet as it should, because the machine only reported that exactly four of the twelve statements were true, but not which ones.
Who is the car thief ?
There are 12 statements and only 4 are true. That gives us 495 combinations. I gave the statements the number 1-12 (1-3 to suspect A, 4-6 to suspect B etc.)
Now i started to eliminate the combinations that can’t exist:
Statement 1 & 7 can’t be both true. Statement 4 & 9 can’t be both true. Statement 4 & 12 can’t be both true.
Statement 9 & 12 can’t be both true. Statement 8 can’t be false with statements 4 or 9 or 12 being true .
Statement 10 can’t be false with statements 9 or 12 being true.
Statement 10 & 8 can’t be both false
Statement 11 can’t be false with statement 4 or 12 being true.
Statement 11 & (5 or 8 or 10) can’t be both false.
Statement 4 &10 can’t be both true or both false and so 5 & 12 and 9 & 11.
If statement 6 is true than B is not the thief.
If Statements 10 & 11 are true and 12 is false statement 8 can’t be true.
After all the above i was left with 7 possibilities that gave me all the suspects, i notices that in the beginning of the puzzle, it says that the thief did not know that the car was the car of the chief of police, which means that statement 3 must be true.
And that fact leave us with only one option: false, false, true, false, true, false, false, false, false, true, true, false.
So the thief is Suspect B.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- There is a building of 100 floors -If an egg drops from the Nth floor or above it will break. ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »