Cat, Dog & Monkey
A cat, a dog and a monkey were stolen. 3 suspects got caught: Harish, Manoj and Tarun. All we know is each person stole one animal, but we do not know who stole which. Here are the investigation statements. Harish said: Tarun stole the cat. Manoj said: Tarun stole the dog. Tarun said: They both were lying. I did not steal the cat or the dog. Later on, the police found out the man who stole the monkey told a lie. The man who stole the cat told the truth. Can you find out who stole which?
Harish stole the monkey, Manoj stole the cat and Tarun, the dog.
Explanation: The statements and known facts are:
Harish: Tarun stole the cat. — S1
Manoj: Tarun stole the dog. — S2
Tarun: I didn’t steal the cat or the dog. — S3
The one who stole the monkey told a lie — F1
The one who stole the cat told a truth — F2
Statement 3 (by Tarun) says that he didn’t steal the cat or the dog. If we assume that this statement was true, it implies that he stole the monkey. However, as per the known fact F1, (person who stole the monkey lied), the statement S3 must be false, contradicting our assumption. This, in turn, implies that Tarun stole either the cat or the dog. However, had he stolen the cat, he would have told the truth (as per the known fact F2). Thus, the only possibility is that Tarun stole the Dog.
Now, what remains is to identify who stole the cat and the monkey. We know that one of the remaining suspects (who took the monkey) told a lie and the other (who took the cat) told the truth. Had Harish told the truth (S1), Tarun should have taken the cat. However, we know that Tarun did not take the cat. (He took the dog.) So, what Harsh told was a lie, whereas Manoj had said that Tarun stole the dog, which turned out true. This implies that Harish stole the Monkey (and lied, as per fact F1) and Manoj stole the cat (and told the truth that Tarun stole the dog.).
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »