Distressed Traveller Riddle
A traveller, on his way to Mexico City, reaches a road junction, where he can turn left or right. He knows that only one of the two roads leads to Mexico City, but unfortunately, he does not know which one. Fortunately, he sees two friends standing at the road junction, and he decides to ask them for directions.
The traveller knows that one of the two friends always tells the truth and the other one always lies. Unfortunately, he does not know which one always tells the truth and which one always lies.
How can the traveller find out the way to Mexico City by asking just one question to one of the two brothers?
In the given scenario as per the puzzle, the unfortunate traveller may or may not find his way to Mexico City, with equal probability. 🙂
As per the statement of the puzzle, the persons whom the traveller met were “two friends standing at the road junction”, whereas, as per the question statement of the puzzle, the traveller is supposed to ask “just one question to one of the two brothers“. i.e., our traveller is supposed to ask he question to one of the “brothers” who have nothing to do with the “two friends” who always tell truth / lie. There is no statement in the puzzle regarding whether the “brothers” know the way to the City or whether they will tell the truth or lie, whereas whether the traveller will be able to find his way depends on these two factors. Since the factors are unknown, the ‘odds are even’ for the traveller to be able to find his way or lose his way.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »