Distressed Traveller Riddle
A traveller, on his way to Mexico City, reaches a road junction, where he can turn left or right. He knows that only one of the two roads leads to Mexico City, but unfortunately, he does not know which one. Fortunately, he sees two friends standing at the road junction, and he decides to ask them for directions.
The traveller knows that one of the two friends always tells the truth and the other one always lies. Unfortunately, he does not know which one always tells the truth and which one always lies.
How can the traveller find out the way to Mexico City by asking just one question to one of the two brothers?
In the given scenario as per the puzzle, the unfortunate traveller may or may not find his way to Mexico City, with equal probability. 🙂
As per the statement of the puzzle, the persons whom the traveller met were “two friends standing at the road junction”, whereas, as per the question statement of the puzzle, the traveller is supposed to ask “just one question to one of the two brothers“. i.e., our traveller is supposed to ask he question to one of the “brothers” who have nothing to do with the “two friends” who always tell truth / lie. There is no statement in the puzzle regarding whether the “brothers” know the way to the City or whether they will tell the truth or lie, whereas whether the traveller will be able to find his way depends on these two factors. Since the factors are unknown, the ‘odds are even’ for the traveller to be able to find his way or lose his way.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »