Find the different paths possible
Consider a rectangular grid of 4×3 with lower left corner named as A and upper right corner named B. Suppose that starting point is A and you can move one step up(U) or one step right(R) only. This is continued until B is reached. How many different paths from A to B possible ?
Now let’s look at some sample paths we can figure out by inspection.
If we start at A and move towards B, we find we can follow the path
(where R = Right one unit, U = Up one unit),
and so on.
By analyzing our good routes, we see that every good route consists of 5 moves and we have 3 R moves and 2 U moves. We canuse this to generalize a formula to find the number of possible routes.
Since as we’ve shown, order does not matter in our paths (we can have an R in any place of our 5 moves), we can use our combination formula:
C(N,R) = N!/(N-R)! * R!
The number of how many good routes we have can be found by finding how many combinations of 3 R’s we can have in our 5 moves, so we want to calculate:
C(5,3) = 5!/(5-3)! * 2! = 10
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »