Find the number of animals and their kind
My friend who owns a farm near Bangalore has five droves of animals on his farm consisting of cows, sheep and pigs with the same number of animals in each drove.
One day he decided to sell them all and sold them to eight dealers.
Each of the eight dealers bought the same number of animals and paid at the rate of Rs. 17 for each cow, Rs. 2 for each sheep and Rs. 2 for each pig.
My friend recieved from the dealers in total Rs. 301.
How many animals in all did he have and how many of each kind?
We know that there were five droves with an equal number in each drove, and therefore the number must be divisible by 5. As every one of the eight dealers bought the same number of animals, the number must also be divisible by 8. This leads us to the conclusion that the number must be a multiple of 40.
Now the highest possible multiple of 40 that will work will be found to be 120, and this number could be made up in one of two ways—1 cow, 23 sheep and 96 pigs or 3 cows, 8 sheep and 109 pigs. But the first does not fit in because the animals consisted of ‘Cows, Sheep and Pigs’ and a single ‘Cow’ is not ‘Cows’. Therefore the second possibility is the correct answer.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Two trains starting at same time, one from Bangalore to Mysore and other in opposite direction arrive at their destination ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »