Six pirates and Gold Coin distribution puzzle
The five pirates mentioned previously(http://puzzlefry.com/puzzles/gold-coins-puzzle/)are joined by a sixth, then plunder a ship with only one gold coin.
After venting some of their frustration by killing all on board the ship, they now need to divvy up the one coin. They are so angry, they now value in priority order:
1. Their lives
2. Getting money
3. Seeing other pirates die.
So if given the choice between two outcomes, in which they get the same amount of money, they’d choose the outcome where they get to see more of the other pirates die.
How can the captain save his skin?
If pirates are taken to be 6 5 4 3 2 1…with the number corresponding to the seniority-
Let’s then start with 2 pirates and go further as done in the 5 pirate puzzle problem,
2 pirates- 1 and 2. Obviously 2 will keep the coin.
3 pirates- 3 will give it to 1 and 1 knows he won’t get anything if he says no as when 3 pirate is killed, case 2 reduces to case 1.
4 pirates- 4 gives it to 2. who (since is intelligent) would say yes to.
5 pirates- 5 obviously won’t give it to 2. But even if he gives the coin to 4,3 or 1. All of rest three will say no to it. So, this condition can’t be stabilised . So 5 would be killed no matter what and we’ll go back to case 3 with 4 pirates.
6 pirates- 6 knows 5 would always want him to live or else if 6 dies, 5 eventually dies and we go back to case 3 where 2 gets the coin. So 6 wont give it to 2 as he would be rich one way or the other. Thus, he will give the coin to any of 4,3 or 1 . Any of them would say yes.
So 6,5 and (4/3/1) would poll yes and captain saves himself.
The captain, in order to save his life would give the only coin to the next senior pirate (the potential next captain). Seeing this, the rest of the 4 members would plan to kill the pirate. Once the member is dead, the captain would then decide to hand over the coin to the next senior pirate, who also gets killed and it goes on until only 2 members are left. At this point, the junior most member wouldn’t dare kill the captain alone and hence, the captain not only saves his life, kills the other pirates but also gets the coin.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »