There was trouble from the Grundi. One of them
damaged the spaceship by hurling a rock at it. The
astronauts couldn’t figure out what the Grundi had to
gain by their hostile act. Was it just vandalism, done out
of sheer spite? Or perhaps not everyone on Mars was
happy to see the Earthlings return.
The Martian police chief brought in five Grundi for
questioning. Like all Grundi, they sometimes told the
truth and sometimes lied. The suspects each made
three statements, two of which were true and one of
which was false. And the guilty one was revealed.
1. Zum said:
I am innocent.
I have never used a rock to destroy anything.
Tset did it.
2. Uk said:
I did not do the damage.
The Earthman’s vehicle is on Grundi space.
Yan is not my friend.
3. Pala said:
I am innocent.
I never saw Yan before.
Tset is guilty.
4. Tset said:
I did not throw the rock.
Yan did it.
Zum did not tell the truth when he said I did it.
5. Yan said:
I am innocent.
Uk is guilty.
Pala and I are old friends.
Who was the culprit?
1. Tset said (in his first statement) that he did not throw
the rock and (in his third statement) that Zum lied by
saying he, Tset, did. Since only one of the three statements
could be false, both of these must be true. Therefore,
his second statement that Yan did it must be a lie.
So, we know that both Tset and Yan are innocent.
2. Zum said that Tset did it, and so we know that this
statement is Zum’s one lie. Therefore, Zum’s statement,
“I am innocent,” is the truth.
Who is left as a possible culprit? Pala and Uk.
3. Since Tset is innocent, Pala’s comment that Tset did it
was her lie. Therefore, her statements that she was innocent
and that she never saw Yan before were true.
4. Yan’s assertion that he and Pala were old friends was
therefore a lie. He told the truth when he said that he,
Yan, was innocent and that Uk was guilty
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »