New year party celebration puzzle
Mr Andrew wants to have a party on new year eve i.e. 1st of Jan, where he will be serving his 512 barrels of wine. In the Christmas celebration, his enemies poisoned one of the barrels. The poison kills any man who drinks the wine in about 6 days.
A plant called Xtonix also get affected and killed by the poison in 6days and can be used to test the wine. Xtonix is very rare plant so very costly and limited, Mr Andrew decided to buy some Xtonix plant to test the poisoned barrel.
How can he identify the single poisoned barrel of wine?
What is the minimum number of plants needed for the same?
You need 9 plants to check.
he will mark the wine barrel from 1 to 512.
and plant also with number 1 to 9
then he will feed the plant number 1 with wine from barrels 1+3+5+7+……+511
plant number 2 with wine from 2+3+6+7+…..+511
plant number 3 with wine from 4+5+6+7+12+13+14+15+….+511.
plant number 4 with 8+9+10+11+12+13+14+15+…+511
plant 5 with 16+17+18+..+511
plant 6 with 32+33+34+…+511
plant 7 with 64+65+66+….+511
plant 8 with 128+129+…..+511
plant 9 with 256+257+……+511
Now checking witch plants die you can determine the which wine bottle contains poison
if plant 1,3,5,7,9,…. die then barrel 1 contain poison
if plant 2.3,7,… die then barrel 2 contain poison
and so on
and if all plants die the barrel 511 contains poison.
and if none of the plants die then barrel 512 contain poison
You require 9 plants to check.
Let us take the wine barrel and name them 1 to 512.
First take 511 wine barrels. Keep Barrel no 52 separately.
The Plant be A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I
Now convert the number 1 to 511 into binaries and form a table like below
Now take the 1st wine barrel. Look at its binary form. It has digit 1 at A. So put a drop of wine in Plant A.
Take 2nd wine barrel. It has digit 1 at B. So put a drop of wine at Plant B.
Take 3rd wine barrel. It has digit 1 at A and B. So put a drop of wine in both Plant A and Plant B.
Take 511th wine barrel. It has digit 1 in All A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I. So put 1 drop in all the plants.
Wait for 6 days.
Check how many plants died. If a plant dies, then make that as 1, if not 0.
For eg., Plant A,B,C,D dies.
Then the binary form is 000001111.
Convert it into Decimal.
The value will represent the wine bottle. In this case it is 15.
If none of the plant dies, then the poison is in 512th bottle.
If he uses 1 plant, it would take him a lot of days to find the poisoned barrel of wine.
In the worst case scenario, it would take 6*512=3072 days.
Which is about eight and a half years.
Andrew can theoretically accomplish this using a single plant, but he can’t celebrate the party with wine this year, it would take another 9 years.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »