To enlist the help of the other kingdoms, the king talked to the queen about inviting neighboring royalty to dinner. This put the queen into a royal snit. Theirs was not a very wealthy kingdom and the royal dinnerware was in a disgraceful condition. Apart from ordinary dishes for everyday use, all that the royal pantry contained were a few dinner plates of three different
1. five silver ones with birds
2. six crystal with seashells
3. seven gold with the royal crest
They were all stored in disarray on a very dark top shelf of the royal pantry. Only those would be suitable for entertaining other royalty.
If the queen didn’t want to climb up to the top shelf twice, how many dinner plates would she have to take down to be sure she had matching dinner plates for herself, her royal spouse, and for the neighbouring king and queen?
Ten. Though, by chance, she might
have taken down four matching plates, consider the possibilities
if the queen had taken down the following
number of plates:
4 might have resulted in 2, 1, 1
5 might have resulted in 2, 2, 1
6 might have resulted in 2, 2, 2
7 might have resulted in 3, 2, 2
8 might have resulted in 3, 3, 2
9 might have resulted in 3, 3, 3
Only with ten, would it be inevitable that she would
have at least four of any one pattern: 3, 3, 4.
In order to ensure matching plates, the queen had to
bring down three extra plates, one for each pattern, for
each person more than two.
The formula: N + 1 + N(X) (with N representing the
number of patterns or types and X representing the
number of people more than two).
The queen had three patterns of plates and so N = 3. In
addition to the king and queen, there were two guests,
and so X = 2. 3 + 1 + 3(2) = 10.
Try it and you will find that for three persons the queen
would have needed to take down seven plates, and for five
she would have had to take down 13 plates.
If her children had not been out ogre-fighting, the royal
queen might have had to mix and match!
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »