Stamp buying riddle
Yesterday John’s mother asked him to buy some stamps. Stamps, in the land of Puzzlefry, are available in 3p, 9p, 11p, 17p and 21p denominations.
For three types of stamp John was asked to buy eight of each. For the other two types of stamp, he was asked to buy nine of each.
Unfortunately he forgot which he was supposed to buy eight of and which to buy nine of.
Luckily his mother had given him the exact money required to buy the stamps, £5.00 and the shopkeeper was able to give him the correct stamps.
Which stamps did he buy?
Answer: He bought 9 of 3p and 9p and 8 of 11p, 17p and 21p stamp dominations.
Solution: Sum of 8 of all stamp dominations is 8*(3+9+11+17+21) = 488, which means that there are 12p left and only way is to use one 3p and one 9p. So he bought 9 of 3p and 9p and 8 of 11p, 17p and 21p stamp dominations ( 9*(3+9)+8*(11+17+21) = 108 + 392 = 500 ).
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »