The Astronaut’s Pee
The problem gives us the hint that water will freeze in space. Looking at the phase diagram for water, we can see that below a pressure of 0.006 atmospheres (611.7 Pascals) water cannot exist in the liquid state. In the vacuum of space, water can only be gaseous or solid. Any liquid water ejected into space will boil, and the evaporation will cool some of the remaining water below the freezing point.
Phase diagram for water
The heat for melting or freezing water, also called the Heat of Fusion, is 80 calories per gram at 0°C. It is necessary to remove 80 calories of energy to freeze one gram of water at 0°C. The heat for boiling or condensing water at 100°C, called the Heat of Vaporization, is 539 calories per gram. The following graph summarizes the effect of energy on the temperature of water in its solid, liquid, and gaseous phases.
Since the problem does not state the temperature of the water ejected into space, we can do the calculations for 0°C and for 100°C, which are the minimum and maximum temperatures for water at normal pressure within the space capsule. We can solve the problem as follows:
Let X be the amount of water that evaporates, and 100-X the amount of water that turns into ice.
For water at 0°C, we can set up the following equation, where (100-X) 80 is the number of calories required to freeze 100-X grams of water at 0°C, and 539 X is the number of calories removed by the evaporation of X grams of water.
(100 – X) 80 = 539 X
X = 8000/619 = 12.9 grams
If the ejected water has a temperature of 0°C, only 12.9 grams need to evaporate to freeze the remaining water (87.1 grams).
For water at 100°C, it is first necessary to reduce the temperature to 0°C. This requires 100 calories per gram. In addition, 80 calories are required to freeze one gram of water. Thus, we need to remove 180 calories to freeze 1 gram of water at 100°C. We can set up the following equation, where (100-X) 180 is the number of calories required to freeze 100-X grams of water at 100°C, and 539 X is the number of calories removed by the evaporation of X grams of water.
(100 – X) 180 = 539 X
X = 18000/719 = 25.0 grams
For water ejected into space, 87.1 grams turn into ice if the water is initially at 0°C, and 75.0 grams turn into ice if the water is at 100°C. Thus, at least 75 grams out of the original 100 grams or 75% will turn into ice.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »