This is a simple problem that can be solved using standard combination formula
nCr = n!/r! (n-r)!
So in order to get 66 handshakes C(n , 2):
n(n-1)/2 = 66
n^2 – n=132
Since n is the number of people in the party, it should be a whole number and the value that satisfies the equation is 12
Hence there were 12 people in the party
Handshakes are used traditionally as greetings, but they are also used to seal an agreement when a business transaction has been mutually accepted. A handshake is sometimes used to characterize the personality of an individual. A firm handshake is interpreted to indicate an assertive person or an extroverted personality, whereas a less firm or limp handshake is viewed as a sign of weakness and lack of confidence. Some diseases, such as influenza, can be spread by shaking hands with an infected individual and then touching one’s face. (See Hygiene)
With two people (A and B), there is one handshake
(A with B).
With three people (A, B, and C), there are three handshakes
(A with B and C; B with C).
With four people (A, B, C, and D), there are six handshakes
(A with B, C, and D; B with C and D; C with D).
In general, with n+1 people, the number of handshakes is the sum of the first n consecutive numbers: 1+2+3+ … + n.
Since this sum is n(n+1)/2, we need to solve the equation n(n+1)/2 = 66.
This is the quadratic equation n2+ n -132 = 0. Solving for n, we obtain 11 as the answer and deduce that there were 12 people at the party.
Since 66 is a relatively small number, you can also solve this problem with a hand calculator. Add 1 + 2 = + 3 = +… etc. until the total is 66. The last number that you entered (11) is n.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »