A Bishop And A Rook Puzzle
ANSWER – 0.3611
The probability of either the Rook or the Bishop attacking the other is 0.3611
A Rook and a Bishop on a standard chess board can be arranged in:
= 64P2 (64 Permutation 2)
= 4032 ways
There are 2 possible cases – Rook attacking Bishop and Bishop attacking Rook.
As we know that the Rook and the Bishop never attack each other simultaneously. Let’s consider both the cases one by one.
Case I – Rook attacking Bishop
Rook can be placed in any of the given 64 positions and it always attacks 14 positions.
Hence, total possible ways of the Rook attacking the Bishop
= 896 ways
Case II – Bishop attacking Rook
View the chess-board as a 4 co-centric hollow squares with the outermost square with side 8 units and the innermost square with side 2 units.
If the bishop is in one of the outer 28 squares, then it can attack 7 positions.
If the bishop is in one of the 20 squares at next inner-level, then it can attack 9 positions.
If the bishop is in one of the 12 squares at next inner-level, then it can attack 11 positions.
If the bishop is in one of the 4 squares at next inner-level (the innermost level), then it can attack 13 positions.
Hence, total possible ways of the Bishop attacking the Rook
= 28*7 + 20*9 + 12*11 + 4*13
= 560 ways
Thus, the required probability is
= (896 + 560) / 4032
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- There is a building of 100 floors -If an egg drops from the Nth floor or above it will break. ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »