A Boy and his friend age riddle
TWO Possible answers: (NOT considering ‘fraction ages’ such as X years and Y months and ‘improbable ages’ such as above 120 years)
(1) The man is 40 and his friend is 30
Sum of their ages = 40 + 30 = 70.
When the man’s age was half the sum of their present ages, he was 70 / 2 = 35 (i.e. 5 years ago).
At that time, his friend was 25. When the man is twice this age (the age his friend was when the man was 35), he (the man) would be 25 x 2 = 50 (i.e., 10 years from now.) By that time, his friend (who is 30 now) will have turned 30 + 10 = 40, which is as old as the man is now.
(2) The man is 80 and his friend, 60
Sum of ages = 140.
When the man’s age was half the sum of their present ages, he was 140 / 2 = 70 (i.e. 10 years ago).
At that time, his friend was 50. When the man is twice this age (the age his friend was when the man was 70), he (the man) would be 50 x 2 = 100
(i.e., 20 years from now.) By that time, his friend (who is 60 now) will have turned 60 + 20 = 80, which is as old as the man is now.
If we consider fraction ages, there can be multiple possible answers (fractions of the above-said figures. e.g. 20 and 15, 60 and 45 etc.)
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »