Confused sisters riddle
Three sisters are identical triplets. The oldest by minutes is Aliza, and Aliza always tells anyone the truth. The next oldest is Benedicta, and Benedicta always will tell anyone a lie. Cerena is the youngest of the three. She sometimes lies and sometimes tells the truth.
John, an old friend of the family’s, came over one day and as usual he didn’t know who was who, so he asked each of them one question.
John asked the sister that was sitting on the left, “Which sister is in the middle of you three?” and the answer he received was, “Oh, that’s Aliza.”
John then asked the sister in the middle, “What is your name?” The response given was, “I’m Cerena.”
John turned to the sister on the right, then asked, “Who is that in the middle?” The sister then replied, “She is Benedicta.”
This confused John; he had asked the same question three times and received three different answers.
Who was who?
Cerena – Benedicta – Aliza
The middle sister can’t be Aliza because she would say “I am Aliza”
The left sister can’t be Aliza because the wouldn’t say that the middle sister was Aliza.
So Aliza is the right sister.
That also means that the middle sister is Benedicta because Aliza said so.
And that leaves the left sister which can only be Cerena
three different replies so 2 are lying as 1 have to be true first one is lying as there cannot be 2 truths as if she is true then middle also speaks truth so middle one is not Aliza as first one is lying so last is Aliza so middle one is benedecta and first is cerena
CUGEL ANSWERED FIRST
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »