Einstein’s five-houses riddle
1. The British man lives in a red house.
2. The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Danish man drinks tea.
4. The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The Blends smoker lives next to the one who drinks water.
Who owns the fish?
This riddle was by Albert Einstein. He claims that only 2% of the world’s population can solve it.
a) We know that Norwegian lives in the 1st house (Hint: #9) and next to him lives a guy who stays in a blue house (Hint: #14). So far we have the following:
|1st House||2nd House|
b) We know that the green house is on the left of the white house (Hint: 4), therefore we can form a new group with the Green and White house next to each other.
|Green House||White House|
c) Now think carefully the combination of (a) and (b). We should reach to the conclusion that the Norwegean guy who lives in the first house, he either lives in the Red or Yellow house since the Green & White houses group can only have a position of either 3-4 or 4-5.
d) Since the Brit is the guy who lives in the Red house (Hint: 1), now we definitely know that the Norwegian lives in the Yellow house. So far we have the following information:
|1st House||2nd House|
|Green House||White House|
e) Next, we know that the owner of the Green house drinks coffee (Hint: 5) and the man living in the center house drinks milk (Hint: 8). As a result, we conclude that the group of Green and Yellow house are the 4th and 5th house in order and that the center house (number 3) is the Brit.
f) Hint 7 gives us another information on the first house (The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill). In-addition, the man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill (Hint 11), therefore the man living in house #2 keeps horses.
g) Hint 15 states that “The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.” We conclude that only 2 people can have a neighbor who drinks water (House 1&2), but since House #1 already smokes Dunhill that means that House #2 smokes Blend and House #1 drinks water.
h) Hint 12 states “The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer.” See the table above and you will notice that we are missing the drink only for houses 2 and 5 but since we already know that the owner of house 2 smokes Blend, then the combination of Hint 12 applies to house #5.
i) Hint 3 states that “The Dane drinks tea.”. We are missing only the drink for house #2 therefore this applies to house #2.
j) Hint 10 states “The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats.” As a result, house #1 keeps cats since house #2 has the owner who smokes Blend.
k) Hint #13 states that “The German smokes prince”. We are missing the nationalities of the owners who live in house #4 and #5 but since the owner of house #5 smokes Bluemaster, this hint applies to house #4.
l) Hint #6 states that “The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds”. We are only missing the tabacco of House #3 therefore:
m) Finally hint #2 states that “The Swede keeps dogs as pets”. This combination can only be applied to house #5.
n) Now who owns the fish? The German owns the fish!!!
Congratulations, according to Einstein you now belong to the 2% of the people who can solve this riddle!!!
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- A bridge will collapse in 17 minutes. 4 people want to cross it before it will collapse. It is a ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »