Freight labeling riddle
At the local Puzzlefry Internet dispatch center, the packing department was getting ready for the weekend.
However, it was late in the day and the final five packages were ready to be labelled.
Unfortunately, John dropped the labels to the packages and then had no idea which label belonged to which packet.
What is the probability that John managed to correctly label exactly four of the five packages?
Assumption: The dispatch centre does NOT prepare labels in excess of packages, neither do they leave any package unlabeled. (i.e., if there are ‘P’ packages and ‘L’ labels, P =L.)
The probability of the scenario specified in the puzzle happening is ZERO.
Explanation: Since there were only FIVE Packages left to be labelled, if John managed to label FOUR of them correctly, it means that the fifth package was also labelled correctly, because there are no excess labels prepared so that the fifth package could get mislabeled. Thus, the result will be that ALL FIVE packages are correctly labelled. Hence, it is impossible to have “exactly four of the five packages” labelled correctly.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- In a country where everyone wants a boy, each family continues having babies till they have a boy. After some ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Dr.Willam wants to operate for three different persons who were wounded. But he had only two surgical gloves. There is ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- In the gear arrangement, To which one will the needle touch, 1 OR 2Read More »
- Some numbers are very mysterious. They are all integers. They have more than one digit. If you multiply them with ...Read More »
- 100 persons are standing in line, each facing the same way. Each person is wearing a hat, either red or ...Read More »
- A devotee goes to three temples, temple1, temple2 and temple3 one after the other. In front of each temple, there ...Read More »
- There is a perfectly accurate analog watch with hour, minute, and second hands. How many times a day do all three ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- In the middle of the confounded desert, there is the lost city of “Ash”. To reach it, you will have ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »