How many can we place in this manner?
We have a circular dining table made of marble which had come down to us as a family heirloom. We also have some beautiful bone-china saucers that I recently brought from Japan. Diameter of. our table top is fifteen times the diameter of our saucers which are also circular. We would like to place the saucers on the table so that they neither overlap each other nor the edge of the table. How many can we place in this manner?
We can consider a saucer as a circle of Radius R.
Draw a circle and 6 circles can be drawn on its circumference touching each other. If you join centers of the circles a hexagon will be created having edge of length 2R. Similarly another 12 circles can be drawn on the circumference of these six circles. A hexagon can be made by joining centers of these 12 circles having edge length = 3R.
So, concentric hexagons can be created having an A.P. of circles: 1, 6, 12,18, 24, 30, 36, 42. We need to stop here because the if we join any two opposite vertices of the largest hexagon, there will be 15 circles in line.
If there are even no. of circles per side of the outer most hexagon, an outsider can be placed centrally. and 2 more can be placed on circumference of this one. Like this, 3 outsiders can be there.
So in total, 1+6+12+18+24+30+36+42+ (3*6) = 187 saucers.
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »