Making bucket empty with 50% take out rate puzzle
The answer is 90 hours.
Surprising as it may seem, the answer follows from the properties of matter and Avogadro’s number.
All the answers provided here so far assume that the bucket of water is infinitely divisible. But the fact is there comes a stage where you are left with just one molecule in the bucket. You cannot divide a single molecule any further without losing the property of water. It is a fundamental principle of chemistry. You stop when the bucket has just one molecule or you remove that one molecule also after one hour.
With that background, let us look at the calculations.
One mole of water weighs 18.015 grams.
One mole of water (any substance for that matter) contains 6.022 x 10^23 molecules (Avogadro’s number).
To keep the calculations simple, let us assume the bucket holds 36 litres or 36 kilograms of water (that is a reasonable size also).
36 kgs of water is equal to 2000 moles (approx).
2000 moles of water contain 2000 x 6.022 x 10^23 = 1.2044e+27 molecules.
90 9.729E-01 (Note the sign has flipped from + to -)
You can also start with one molecule at zero hours, double the quantity every hour and see how long it takes to reach 1.2044e+27 molecules.
If you double the size of the bucket, the time goes up by one more hour.
Here is the python script that did the actual calculation:
molecules = 2000 * 6.022 * 10 ** 23
hours = 0
while molecules > 1:
molecules = molecules / 2
hours = hours + 1
print hours, ‘%.3E’ % molecules
Source – Quora
More puzzles to try-
- 3 + 3 = 3 5 + 4 = 4 1 + 0 = 3 2 + 3 = 4 ...Read More »
- There are 10 stacks of 10 coins each. Each coin weights 10 gms. However, one stack of coins is defective ...Read More »
- Let it be simple and as direct as possible. Interviewer : Tell me how much time (in days) and money would ...Read More »
- Which clock works best? The one that loses a minute a day or the one that doesn’t work at all?Read More »
- Paul, Sam and Dean are assigned the task of figuring out two numbers. They get the following information: Both numbers ...Read More »
- Five puzzleFry ship’s pirates have obtained 100 gold coins and have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all ...Read More »
- Four days are there which start with the letter ‘T‘. I can remember only two of them as “Tuesday , Thursday”. ...Read More »
- Two fathers took their sons to a fruit stall. Each man and son bought an apple, But when they returned ...Read More »
- A farmer is taking her eggs to the market in a cart, but she hits a pothole, which knocks over ...Read More »
- Solve this logic sequence puzzle by the correct digit- 8080 = 6 1357 = 0 2022 = 1 1999 = ...Read More »
- A man leaves his house in the morning to go to office and kisses his wife. In the evening on ...Read More »
- Jasmine, Thibault, and Noah were having a night out and decided to order a pizza for $10. It turned out ...Read More »
- Which letter replaces the question markRead More »
- A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, ...Read More »
- Richie established a very strange number system. According to her claim for different combination of 0 and 2 you will ...Read More »
- The result of math class test came out. Fariha’s mark was an even number. Srabon got a prime!! Nabila got ...Read More »
- Robi is a very serious student. On the first day of this year his seriousness for study was 1 hour. ...Read More »
- Ragib: I got digits of a 2 digit number Sakib: Is it an odd? Ragib: Yes. Moreover, the sum of ...Read More »
- If u r genius solve it:- 40 * 14 = 11 30 * 13 = 12 20 * 12 = ...Read More »
- When do we call “10” while looking at number “2”?Read More »